Honored Contributor

Re: Blue Angels/Thunderbirds flyover this weekend!

I have seen the Blue Angels many times and they are awesome.  They appear in Seattle every year for Seafair week end.  I remember reading in the paper that the appearance costs taxpayers over million dollars for just that one appearance.  I just think it is an inappropriate way to spend money when health care workers are in need of protection.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Such lovely pictures of the awesome Blue Angels in flight have been posted here.

Now tell me how awesome these pictures are of the crowds gathering to watch them in the midst of a deadly pandemic. Just in case some people didn't understand my objection and for those who are making light of the situation THIS is what I am objecting to.  THIS illustrates zero common sense and zero self-discipline and THIS is how people are risking the lives of everyone else especially the front line workers.

When you have an event like this you are inviting people to gather. Period.  You cannot possibly think people will watch you online from the safety of their homes.....even though you have asked them to do just that. So while some here may have watched the flyover from the safety of their backyard or their rural neighborhood this is what the rest of the country has been doing and what the rest of the country does will exacerbate this crisis and ultimately affect everyone.  So if anyone still can't understand the far-reaching effects of this decision you are living in a bubble. I just hope your bubble doesn't burst.

ETA: Oh. You can google Blue Angels and National Mall as well as Blue Angels and NYC to see these photos.

Image: Blue Angels Thunderbirds Flyover DC

View image on Twitter

NYC mayor takes heat after lashing out at Jewish funeral

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree 

It just makes you wonder doesn't it.  If whoever made this decision gave it some thought they should have known this would happen.

This makes as much sense as the lawsuit in Orange County because people want to use the beaches in the middle of pandemic.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@MorningLover   Too funny when people try real hard to change someone's opinion and what they see and experience especially with a couple of isolated snapshots from different parts of the country

Deree wrote: Meanwhile the healthcare workers for whom this is supposed to honor will be inside risking their lives to save people. 

What I highlighted from your post was a false statement. 

I'm not trying to change anyones opinion just stating the facts. There are many videos online, I just posted a couple of pictures. These were the areas that the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds did amazing flyovers. 

AMERICA STRONG is the theme! 

@MorningLover   Thank you for posting FACTS regarding the flyovers.

It is a waste of time trying to discuss when some are just trying in the usual underhanded way to place some blame where none is needed in this situation.  The crewmembers organized this, not the one disliked.

We can feel good about the flyovers and we can feel compassion for those affected by COVID-19.

Some just like to walk bare foot on a "high road" made out of broken glass.

@Cakers3  Amen!

Valued Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Such lovely pictures of the awesome Blue Angels in flight have been posted here.

Now tell me how awesome these pictures are of the crowds gathering to watch them in the midst of a deadly pandemic. Just in case some people didn't understand my objection and for those who are making light of the situation THIS is what I am objecting to.  THIS illustrates zero common sense and zero self-discipline and THIS is how people are risking the lives of everyone else especially the front line workers.

When you have an event like this you are inviting people to gather. Period.  You cannot possibly think people will watch you online from the safety of their homes.....even though you have asked them to do just that. So while some here may have watched the flyover from the safety of their backyard or their rural neighborhood this is what the rest of the country has been doing and what the rest of the country does will exacerbate this crisis and ultimately affect everyone.  So if anyone still can't understand the far-reaching effects of this decision you are living in a bubble. I just hope your bubble doesn't burst.

ETA: Oh. You can google Blue Angels and National Mall as well as Blue Angels and NYC to see these photos.

Image: Blue Angels Thunderbirds Flyover DC

View image on Twitter

NYC mayor takes heat after lashing out at Jewish funeral

You cannot force people to wear a mask or gloves- I am responsible for myself and my family. I've seen people everywhere over the past 7 weeks not wearing protection. I see many people in these photos wearing masks and some are not. The virus affects people differently so who knows how each person will react to it. You take a chance going out in but we are told it is best to wear mask and gloves. I'm proud the flyovers are uplifting people and that INCLUDES our healthcare workers. My niece was thrilled to see them as was her patients!!  America strong!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course you cannot force people to wear mask and gloves @physicsnut.  But wearing a mask and gloves during a pandemic crisis means you care about people besides yourself and your family.  It means you understand that you are part of a community and part of humanity. Not an isolated family island.  It means you have respect for others in protecting them from you.  I look at those who don’t wear masks and think to myself How arrogant  How selfish  How pathetic.  What is the big f’n deal about wearing a mask?  What deficiency in character causes people to choose not to wear one?  I don't know if you're suggesting that I just worry about me and my own and what we choose to do but I'm sure you're smart enough to know that ain't gonna work in this pandemic.  The greater the number of people who refuse to wear masks the longer it will take to get back to "normal" life.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I saw the Blue Angels twice I think.  Both of them were at air shows.

Several years ago, the Blue Angels were preparing to do a show.  They were streaking over our house!  I wondered what was going on.  I turned on the TV, & the local news was on about the Angels.  I ran outside and walked up my street....and I saw them!  They did one maneuver and flew away.  Never got over that.

Respected Contributor

Just saw this posted somewhere. California had flyovers today, San Diego - 12:00 PM. Los Angeles - 1:35 PM 

Lots of people in Santa Monica waiting for the Thunderbirds to pass over. America Strong!

Respected Contributor

May 13: America Strong: Texas Flyover

Dedicated to the brave men and women on the front lines

battling covid

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

May 13: America Strong: Texas Flyover

Dedicated to the brave men and women on the front lines

battling covid

@MorningLover   They flew right over our home.

DH Air Force.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh