Respected Contributor

Blue Angels/Thunderbirds flyover this weekend!

See the link below for an article, schedule and video for flyover for healthcare workers this weekend for Baltimore, DC and Atlanta, GA area.  For DC/Baltimore the weather is supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow (Sat 5-3).

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/30/blue-angels-thunderbirds-scheduled-to-fly-...

Here is the schedule for Saturday’s flyovers, all times Eastern:

• Baltimore: 11:30 a.m., lasting for approximately 15 minutes.

• Washington area: 11:45 a.m., lasting for approximately 20 minutes.

• Atlanta: 1:35 p.m., lasting for approximately 25 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blue Angels/Thunderbirds flyover this weekend!

Great, three more opportunities in high population areas for people to gather en masse to watch, just like they did in NY and Philadelphia.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

While I love both groups and have had the pleasure at seeing them at Air shows. This is a waste of money that could be used for our county's sick and dying!

How many tests could this have bought?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Not too smart.  Another excuse for the idiots to gather and gawk.  Meanwhile the healthcare workers for whom this is supposed to honor will be inside risking their lives to save people.  I really don't think they care about flyovers.  I think they care more about getting enough PPE and about the rest of us honoring them by staying home and wearing masks if we have to go out.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan said he’ll issue a proclamation to make Saturday Healthcare Heroes Day across the state. The State House dome, Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium will be lit up in blue and the Navy’s Blue Angels and Air Force’s Thunderbirds will fly over to honor first responders and health care workers just as they did Tuesday in New York City.

The flight demonstration squadrons will fly over Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta on Saturday, a spokesperson for the governor said. Residents along the flight path can expect a few moments of jet noise as the 12 aircraft fly in formation overhead.

“We’re going to be asking all Marylanders to join us in lighting up the state of Maryland blue to show our immense gratitude to these men and women who truly are the definition of Maryland strong," Hogan said at a press conference Wednesday.

In addition to New York City, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flew over Newark and Trenton, New Jersey, and Philadelphia on Tuesday to salute frontline COVID-19 responders.

On the Blue Angels Twitter, the squadron encouraged residents to watch the flyover from the safety of their home-quarantine and to refrain from traveling to see the flyover. “Social distancing should be practiced at all times. Stay home and stay safe!” the tweet reads.

The flyovers fulfill training requirements for both teams, as pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency. The flyovers do not incur any additional costs to taxpayers, a joint statement from the Air Force and Navy that the governor’s office shared reads.

Honored Contributor

I must not be in the right state of mind today.

They are doing a flyover in Atlanta tomorrow and posted the route online today.  I could not care less about this if I really, really tried.  I suppose if they were flying directly over my house I would walk outside and look up, but that's all the effort I'd put into it. 

Probably too many weeks of sitting at home,  but however much we are paying for this I'd rather they give the money directly to the healthcare workers and other first responders.  And you can add grocery store, drug store and post office personnel to that also. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  I posted above ..The flyovers fulfill training requirements for both teams, as pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency. The flyovers do not incur any additional costs to taxpayers, a joint statement from the Air Force and Navy that the governor’s office shared reads.

Honored Contributor

The cost of fuel alone could help hundreds or thousands with food and/or medication! 

Another time and place would be great!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan said he’ll issue a proclamation to make Saturday Healthcare Heroes Day across the state. The State House dome, Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium will be lit up in blue and the Navy’s Blue Angels and Air Force’s Thunderbirds will fly over to honor first responders and health care workers just as they did Tuesday in New York City.

The flight demonstration squadrons will fly over Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta on Saturday, a spokesperson for the governor said. Residents along the flight path can expect a few moments of jet noise as the 12 aircraft fly in formation overhead.

“We’re going to be asking all Marylanders to join us in lighting up the state of Maryland blue to show our immense gratitude to these men and women who truly are the definition of Maryland strong," Hogan said at a press conference Wednesday.

In addition to New York City, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flew over Newark and Trenton, New Jersey, and Philadelphia on Tuesday to salute frontline COVID-19 responders.

On the Blue Angels Twitter, the squadron encouraged residents to watch the flyover from the safety of their home-quarantine and to refrain from traveling to see the flyover. “Social distancing should be practiced at all times. Stay home and stay safe!” the tweet reads.

The flyovers fulfill training requirements for both teams, as pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency. The flyovers do not incur any additional costs to taxpayers, a joint statement from the Air Force and Navy that the governor’s office shared reads.

@MorningLover  Thanks for more info...I live right outside DC and about 1/2 mile from NIH/NavyHospital and they should be over Betheda way around 12:00noon.  I will be watching from my front porch....  Bravo to these men and women of the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds for their tribute...