Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blocking posters an option?

@Marp wrote:

@kate2357,  if by chance you are using Firefox as your browser these instructions will stop gif animation.

dottech.org/147621/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-playing-automatically-in-firefox-guide/

If you are using a different browser you should be able to find instructions by searching on the term stop gif animation for (insert your browser name)

@Marp 

So there doesn't seem to be a way on my laptop where I use EDGE to stop gif animations. But thank you for pointing me in a direction for my tablet and phone to turn off animated gifs. I truly appeciate the guidance.

As an aside, I did send a note to Q about issue and there was no response back. So I'm guessing it's not a big issue for most. I get it. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

I've had epilepsy in the past, and certain movements can trigger seizures. Even with medication, it could happen at times, so one has to be cautious. 

Moving avatars don't bother me much, but there is one with a blinking eye that is really bizarre. I try to ignore that avatar as much as possible. Maybe it would be better if the eye didn't blink. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@kate2357 Just curious but what is the serious problem?

She said she has problems with vertigo with those types of movements.

@World Traveler, @kate2357  isn't the only one; some are worse than others.  Vertigo is not the only problem such movements can trigger.

Nobody implied it was the "only problem such movements can trigger." The post was in response to someone asking the original poster what the serious problem was.

@World Traveler, I am well aware of the intent of your response.  My addition was for those that might not have even realized animated gifs can trigger situational and/or neurological problems.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@kate2357 Just curious but what is the serious problem?

@rms1954 

The sort of animation I'm referring to can trigger vertigo. There have been times I've had vertigo last for days. Not saying from anything on Q Boards, but it can happen quickly. For example, I have a hard time driving or riding when there is dappled light coming thru trees. It's quit a pain in the tush, so I was trying to be proactive. 

Oh.  Sorry if I was too personal.  I didn't realize that.  Sorry you have to go thru such a thing.  Maybe it should be given some serious attention and consideration.

@rms1954 

No worries at all. I didn't mean to be vague about how it impacts me.

Vertigo is such a weird thing because sometimes it just happens and sometimes there is an "event" which you know causes your vertigo. It's so unnerving to feel your body spin out of control whether your eyes are open or closed.

When it hits me particularly bad, it feels like you are incredibly drunk or hungover and the whole room spins or in some cases you see the room moving like when you swipe your phone to scroll thru pictures ... but it's the whole room that just keeps moving right to left, right to left, over and over. You can't stand, sit or walk because your balance is way off. I've literally had to just lay on the floor and wait for my husband to help me get to the bathroom or to a chair.

Again, not to say the animated gifs have caused this to happen to me. I'm just trying to avoid situations.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357Just a thought......I'm not sure if you have signed up for the Q forum on Pro Boards, or if you even want to, but on that board (with the same forums that are here and over 1,200 of the same posters that are here on QVC) you can do the following:

• Block posters
  • Send private messages to other posters
  • Post links to outside retail places
  • Post coupon code or special pricing codes to outside retail places
  • Create any poll you want to find out what others like or suggestions

I know I am missing some of the other things that can be done there, but those are the ones I enjoy having the ability to use.

Again, just a thought. Heart

Honored Contributor

@MarpOh, okay. Since it was addressed to me, I wanted to reply. Heart

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I belong to other forums that have rules about avatars. People cannot select an animated GIF for their screen name's added image. Must be a still image only.

This is a somewhat common rule in some other forums precisely because many people are actually set off by moving avatars and get dizzy or head aches or seizures for some reason. It's problematic enough to be ruled out of bounds. Not a big deal to conform to that. 

I have been surprised to see animated GIFs as accepted here. I don't object to them just because they're animated, as they don't affect me at all, but generally forum rules are set up by the Administrators to provide the greatest good for the greatest number of members. Instead of folks having to avoid seeing things  from specific posters, it's more common to just disallow the moving types of avatars. 

I guess it's everyone's choice to present an image they prefer on this forum, whether it might have an unwanted effect,  and those who physically react are kind of on their own. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@kate2357,  if by chance you are using Firefox as your browser these instructions will stop gif animation.

dottech.org/147621/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-playing-automatically-in-firefox-guide/

If you are using a different browser you should be able to find instructions by searching on the term stop gif animation for (insert your browser name)

@Marp 

So there doesn't seem to be a way on my laptop where I use EDGE to stop gif animations. But thank you for pointing me in a direction for my tablet and phone to turn off animated gifs. I truly appeciate the guidance.

As an aside, I did send a note to Q about issue and there was no response back. So I'm guessing it's not a big issue for most. I get it. 

@kate2357,  are you running the latest version of Edge (98.0.1108.56)?  If so you can now load chrome extensions from the chrome webstore.  This one to stop animations came up in an article I'll link later:  Animation Policy - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

There are a few steps you'll need to go through to be able to install anything from the Chrome Web Store but this link should help you.  It really is straight forward.   thewindowsclub.com/install-extensions-on-edge-from-chrome-web-store

You should not have a problem but it would be a good idea to create a restore point before making changes just in case you don't like the result and can not find a way to remove whatever you added.

Good luck.

P.S.  If you can find a potential solution to strobe/flashing lights I'll be forever in your debt.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

Sorry Kate.  Would be nice in some cases!!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp  You are a very kind person to help @kate2357  and most likely others that have benefited from your advice.

Those of us, like me that are not affected by issues such as this are clueless.  I am happy that @kate2357  brought it up and now I'm aware.  Thanks