Respected Contributor

The ad I don't get is direct tv because I don't think my cable is that bad.

Super Contributor

I thought the commercial was weird also. Aldi used to be my favorite grocery store, but I'm finding that I'm shopping there less and less. The prices are starting to creep up on many things lately, and I'm finding better sales on some of the items elsewhere.   I still check in there once in a while and pick up a few staples, but just not finding the widespread savings I used to in there.  I started to notice this around the time they started to accept credit cards, and now they are remodeling the stores to make them more like other stores. To me, that kind of erases what going to Aldi was all about.  The more they become just like other stores, the more they will have to charge.

Esteemed Contributor

Have seen a couple of the ads.   They all highlight the price difference between Aldi and the competitor. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I love their TV commercials. They're concise, low cost to produce, and creative. I buy my butter there; it's imported from Ireland, cheese imported from both Ireland and Britain. 

Regular Contributor

It is going to the morgueRe: Bizarre ALDI ads

Yes all of their ads are bizarre, just as their stores are strange .they carry very little other than basics.  In our store there are no more trhan two employees visable. It is like going to the morgue when shopping in Aldi's.  I am not a fan of their stores and their prices are not low except on advertised items.

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

I thought the commercial was weird also. Aldi used to be my favorite grocery store, but I'm finding that I'm shopping there less and less. The prices are starting to creep up on many things lately, and I'm finding better sales on some of the items elsewhere.   I still check in there once in a while and pick up a few staples, but just not finding the widespread savings I used to in there.  I started to notice this around the time they started to accept credit cards, and now they are remodeling the stores to make them more like other stores. To me, that kind of erases what going to Aldi was all about.  The more they become just like other stores, the more they will have to charge.

I am loosing interest in Aldi's as well. Yes prices are creeping up, and my main complaint is that they started as a grocery and now they are filled up with general merchandise (hard and soft lines) that have nothing to do with good quality groceries and great prices, which is why I shopped there. 

There is a demand for medium size food markets. Many people are looking for food only, in a more manageable square footage for navigating, and well stocked shelves with good food variety. That is what Aldi's was in the past.

I went in before Thanksgiving, and they had aisles full of cheap, made in China junk, but no milk, frozen vegetables in several varieties, cream cheese, and several other food staples I was in need of.

I think the need to rethink their business plan myself.

Valued Contributor

I'm in Western NY and see Aldi's commercials all the time.  They're cute. There's one 10 minutes from our house.  Bought our Thanksgiving turkey there as well as our Christmas ham.  Their cheese selection, which is the subject of this topic, is good and very reasonable. Almost 50% less than the chain stores and brands.  They also have a great pizza, not frozen, for $6.00, it barely fits in the oven.  

Helen852
Respected Contributor

I haven't seen the ads but this thread has made me decide to stop in this week.    

The times I've gone in Aldi's before, the store seemed to have loads of cereal, crackers, dhips and cookies and much less of everything else.   I went in for a loaf of whole wheat bread a few months ago and all they had left was white bread.  This was around 2:00 in the afternoon!!   Haven't been back since but if they have Irish butter and cheese, I'll give them one more try.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Somehow I am just missing the entire purpose of these ads.  The one about the woman who likes cheese has me totally befuddled.  Are others “getting” these ads?

Those commercials are so horrible.  I cannot stand them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bizarre ALDI ads

[ Edited ]

I enjoy shopping at Aldis. I go when ever I'm in the neighborhood. We have 3 stores all within about 10 to 15 miles.I rarely specifically go there for the purpose of going to Aldis but instead shop there when i'm in the neighborhood. Certainly can't beat the prices and sometimes I meet the nicest people there.

I like the ad advertising their toilet paper. It's a bear & he says 'Of course I do it in the woods. Where else would I go?"