Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

That was an old interview on E.T. I think it was from 4 or 5 years ago.

It seemed like she turned 90 yesterday and it is already her 96th.

I love Betty.  Who doesn't?

@threecees-

No this one was definitely a few nights ago because they and she commented on her turning 96.

I remember the last interview before this too. It was the first time I'd seen her with her animalsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I love her!!!!

She's got a great spirit.  I can relate when she talks about animals.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I don't think her statements are "dark" at all.

I think you have to look at the nuance of what she's saying.

Look at the world today..even in our own communities.  I think her thoughts are that animals are easier to understand and trust that a lot of people.

I don't think that means she doesn't like people.  She's just making an observation.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

She's 96, she can say whatever the heck she wants!!

Honored Contributor

Listening to her, like others have said, I don't think she was saying it in a bitter or sad way at all. Her face lit up and she laughed a lot too while expressing her views.

As for her love of animals, like someone else said, it is so hard to describe the intense, unconditional  love between us and our animal loves. And I don't think for many of us it diminishes in any way our love for our family or friends. It can so many times enhance it.

That love is different from anything we may have known before.

Just as the love for each of our children or spouse etc is different.

Once my husband said he thought I loved our grandog more than him. Well... at the time I did!

And for people getting dark and bitter in old age, for some that is true. I know it happened to my father's mother, my other grandmother. He said he thought she hated everyone except him (and one of my cousins) before she died.I think that was true. No one could do enough for her and she was recentful of everyone who she had loved.I always hoped that did not happen to me.

But there was a quote once and maybe someone knows it that said, something like -"I hope when I die, that all people see is love."

I've often thought, I hope I'm like that and not like my grandmother.

When we age, either we can become more accepting and grateful or bitter, sad and angry. It is different for each.

We can only hope that we only leave love.

And I know when I read so many of the beautiful signature lines so many posters have about animals, that they totally understand this love.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

You assumed wrong Noel7, I AM a mother ( a single mother at times) and a grandmother to 2. I never said people with children have it easier since I have experienced the struggle .  I've worked in the school system for over 25 years I've seen  the struggle daily, and quite frankly some parents should've followed Betty. My point is how it takes a brave, confident and wise person to go against society and do what is best for them.

I KNOW how much it takes to raise a child, and I also know what it takes to bury one...