Honored Contributor

Betty is known for having a very sharp and wicked sense of humor.  I don’t believe for one second that she’s depressed or hiding away devastated; that is the antithesis of who she is. Anyone who took those words at 100% face value doesn’t know much about her. This is NOT some poor little old lady whom nobody loves, and she knows that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

What Betty White has to say on her 96th

“Enjoy life. Accentuate the positive, not the negative. It sounds so trite, but a lot of people will pick out something to complain about, rather than say, ‘Hey, that was great!’ It’s not hard to find great stuff if you look,” White said.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm surprised at those statements, too.  I thought she was a people person as well as an animal lover.  I've seen this before, though, where people get very dark in their thinking when they reach her age.

Wow! Just wow.

I agree that some people get very different at advanced ages. They become more sad, more isolated, and even more jaded about life. 

But as far as Betty goes, I'd say her remarks, if heard in person were said jokingly. She has many many friends and relationships. 

But animals are much easier to love. They just don't come with the same issues as our relationships with people do! lol

Esteemed Contributor

I get the impression BW is one of the most genuine people in the Hollywood scene. One of the toughest things some of us do in life is manage the ups and downs of parenting. It's an absolute sacrifice with blessings (if we're fortunate!) I get it that parenting people isn't for everyone. BW fills her time with things she loves and a good attitude. An independent, confident woman. Gotta admire her!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I just love Betty White, I too love animals more than people.people have hurt me, animals never, 

Honored Contributor

Re: Betty White:)

[ Edited ]

Betty White is not alone....They were talking about Betty's  interview on ESPN Golic & Wingo Show..A lot of people prefer to socialize with their dogs instead of other people...They cited this article...

"More than half of American dog owners admit they flake out on social events to hang out with their pet, according to new research.

The study of 2,000 dog owners found skipping out on human commitments specifically to get a bit of quality furry friend time is a common occurrence.

That bond is understandable given the way they aid our mental health — from their ability to lessen relationship stress to softening bad days at work and more, the average dog gets their owner through five (4.83) stressful events every week."

Even the Sports Show hosts agreed that they prefer the company of their dogs than people at times.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Attention please:  The reason that I said that some older people go dark in their thinking when they become older is not become I think Ms. White necessarily is going there.

My father, who is 90 y.o. called me last week and said that he was in the hospital 3 days a week or so ago because his health provider who came to his house, gave him a supposed pneumonia shot.  When he went to the V.A. hospital because he became sick, the doctor on duty told him that the health provider gave him a shot to kill him but it wasn't strong enough.  Of course, I know that wasn't true.  If the doctor said this, he was kidding.  He's had situations before where he has thought badly about people.  Sometimes he won't eat food that someone cooked.

By no means did I think that Betty White had no friends,

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm surprised at those statements, too.  I thought she was a people person as well as an animal lover.  I've seen this before, though, where people get very dark in their thinking when they reach her age.

Wow! Just wow.

I agree that some people get very different at advanced ages. They become more sad, more isolated, and even more jaded about life. 

But as far as Betty goes, I'd say her remarks, if heard in person were said jokingly. She has many many friends and relationships. 

But animals are much easier to love. They just don't come with the same issues as our relationships with people do! lol

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Sorry I don't agree with all this "dark stuff"........A relative was the Property Manager for an apartment complex for seniors only.  I would volunteer to help out for some of the excursions and fun activities the complex provided. They were some of the most fun and interesting people to be around.  There were some that had more energy and could run circles around me, and had a positive attitude. I think they view each day as a gift and made the best out of it! Even a couple of them that had health issues and on oxygen. The only thing that age seemed to do to them is make them more candid and outspoken---LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

That was an old interview on E.T. I think it was from 4 or 5 years ago.

It seemed like she turned 90 yesterday and it is already her 96th.

I love Betty.  Who doesn't?

Honored Contributor

@keba58 wrote:

Dark thinking? Sounds like she was wise before her time. I've always thought it takes more guts to not have children than to just go with tradition- especially in her generation. 

@keba58

If you don't have children, you might think that.  Having children takes more guts then you could ever imagine.  It's an uphill battle every day, including worry, teaching, not always liking what they do, battling illness and perhaps caring for a child with a disability.

If you have people in your life who pressure you about having children, tell them to buzz off or walk away from them.  Your life is your choice, but don't think people with children have it easier than you do.