Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Not to be gross, but if one eats too many beets, it can turn your poo red.

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Which isn't anything to worry about

Cat Happy

Correct, but not everybody knows that beets can do that.

It was more of an fyi.

Honored Contributor

I put beet powder in my morning smoothies. It is nothing but the beet so there is no extra added sugar. I can't taste it at all but does turn my drink a nice red color. I have always put fresh beets in my smoothies as it is very good for your liver. Not sure what the super beets powder contains but mine is totally organic, non gmo and I buy it locally. Not sure if it adds any fiber, more or less, than fresh beets.

Honored Contributor

I have never had the powder but I love fresh red beets from the farmer in summer.  I boil until tender (leaves off),  Cool, peel, slice and place in bowl with a little vinegar, sugar, water and sliced onion.  Cool in refrig. and eat.  YUM!    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have never had the powder but I love fresh red beets from the farmer in summer.  I boil until tender (leaves off),  Cool, peel, slice and place in bowl with a little vinegar, sugar, water and sliced onion.  Cool in refrig. and eat.  YUM!    Cat Very Happy

I love to cook their greens, too.

Beets are just all around FABU!!!

Regular Contributor

thanks everyone for your input

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Cat Happy

It was more of an fyi.

It can turn your urine pink as well, which could also be alarming if you don't know ahead of time.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Cat Happy

It was more of an fyi.

It can turn your urine pink as well, which could also be alarming if you don't know ahead of time.

OT...Lady comes in to the ER complaining of pain. Staff notices she looked quite jaundice and proceeded to take blood and urine samples for testing. The urine was super dark, almost orange and so were her eyes. Nurse asks woman: " What have you been eating or drinking?"  Woman replies: "I drink two quarts of carrot juice everyday". True story and her pain had nothing to do with the carrot juice. Good job on the nurse's part.

Respected Contributor

Re: Beet root powder

[ Edited ]

Despite the health benefits of beets, there are also risks like loss of calcium and kidney damage. Best to start out slowly with the juice of a half medium-sized beetroot once a week and slowly increase to a whole beetroot in a week. 

Lots of information out there on the benefits and warnings.

Excessive Consumption

Excess consumption of beet juice might cause an accumulation of metals, such as iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus, in the liver, according to researchers performing lab tests in Budapest, Hungary. “Extreme consumption of table beet root can cause several disturbances,” in healthy patients, the researchers report in the September 2007 issue of “Acta Biologica Hungarica.” Excess consumption needs special attention from patients with hemochromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes excess accumulation of iron in the body. This can lead to damage of the liver and pancreas. But the researchers added that moderate consumption benefits people with iron-deficiency anemia and inflammatory bowel diseases.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/555645-dangers-of-juicing-beets/

Valued Contributor

I hate beets, always have but they are good for you. Put that baby in your smoothies.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Despite the health benefits of beets, there are also risks like loss of calcium and kidney damage. Best to start out slowly with the juice of a half medium-sized beetroot once a week and slowly increase to a whole beetroot in a week. 

Lots of information out there on the benefits and warnings.

Excessive Consumption

Excess consumption of beet juice might cause an accumulation of metals, such as iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus, in the liver, according to researchers performing lab tests in Budapest, Hungary. “Extreme consumption of table beet root can cause several disturbances,” in healthy patients, the researchers report in the September 2007 issue of “Acta Biologica Hungarica.” Excess consumption needs special attention from patients with hemochromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes excess accumulation of iron in the body. This can lead to damage of the liver and pancreas. But the researchers added that moderate consumption benefits people with iron-deficiency anemia and inflammatory bowel diseases.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/555645-dangers-of-juicing-beets/

First off, just eat the beets.  

There's fiber, vitamins & minerals the whole plant has which

the powder doesn't have.  And I speak from experience.  

It's the rite of passage to buy crazy stuff to good health,

to think you can buy a short-cut or supplement to a healthy body.

Save the $$ & buy fresh beets. 

Lots of benefits of eating whole beets & drinking 'live' juice

versus powdered juice.  Warnings?  Not so much.

@truffle

The above 'warning' is being mis-represented.  The Livestrong piece

was claiming juicing whole beets were dangerous...it's not.

Digging a little bit, the 'danger' was based on a small sample study

of 5 mice using powdered beet root.  

Conclusion:

If you don't use powder beet root & if you're not a mouse,

beets are very, very good for you.

Therefore we studied the effect of this metal rich vegetable on element content of the liver in healthy rats. Male Wistar rats (n = 7) (200 ± 20 g) were treated with lyophilised powder of table beet root (2 g/kg b. w.) added into the rat chow for 10 days. Five healthy animals served as control. We found significant accumulation of Cu, Fe, Mg, Mn, Zn and P in the liver, which was proved by ICP-AES measurements. We suppose that the extreme consumption of table beet root can cause several disturbances not only in cases of healthy patients but, e.g. in patients suffering with metal accumulating diseases, e.g. porphyria cutanea tarda, haemochromatosis or Wilson disease-although moderate consumption may be beneficial in iron-deficiency anaemia and inflammatory bowel diseases.