Honored Contributor

Re: Bed bug advice.....EWWWW!!!!

Yes, once the carpeting is out, hire an exterminator. Before you move in your present furniture. It's easier to exterminate when people aren't living in the house. That way they can use extra strong chemicals, etc., without any worries to the occupants. And they won't have to worry about spraying furniture, beds, etc. Lots of good luck to you.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I would just have the house treated for critters before moving in. If it's been sitting empty, you may find it has more than bed bugs.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

the word ""bedbugs"" absolutely freaks me out. :-((((((
Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Yes, once the carpeting is out, hire an exterminator. Before you move in your present furniture. It's easier to exterminate when people aren't living in the house. That way they can use extra strong chemicals, etc., without any worries to the occupants. And they won't have to worry about spraying furniture, beds, etc. Lots of good luck to you.

I agree. I would assume bedbug extermination would be similar to termite tenting, which we had done, once. We had to move out of the house for several days....take out all the food and cosmetics, medicines, etc. (or pack them in heavy plastic bags).

After the process, the house needed to be aired out, and even after the advisable time, we moved back in and there was an odor. would not want to go through that again!

Take care of it while the house is empty.

Super Contributor

There is a way get rid of them by heating the house to 118 degrees for at least 90 minutes . You set up heaters and fans in each room. You can rent them or have the exterminator do it. (other sources say 140 degrees or 200 degrees)

Here is a Virgina Tech Dept. of Entymology PDF describing treatments. Caution - contains several pics of bugs. Heat kills everything eggs and bugs.

Yuk I would rather not be penny wise but pound foolish! be safe and treat the house!!

Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 moonstone dunes said:

There is a way get rid of them by heating the house to 118 degrees for at least 90 minutes . You set up heaters and fans in each room. You can rent them or have the exterminator do it. (other sources say 140 degrees or 200 degrees)

Here is a Virgina Tech Dept. of Entymology PDF describing treatments. Caution - contains several pics of bugs. Heat kills everything eggs and bugs.

Yuk I would rather not be penny wise but pound foolish! be safe and treat the house!!

This is the best way to rid them. It's expensive.

Frequent Contributor

My neighbor had bedbugs. She called an exterminating co that specializes in bedbugs. They treated the home using extreme heat. She and her family had to evacuate her house for the day for the treatment. It's been several months and no more bedbugs. The exterminator told them heat is the best way to kill them. You can get bedbugs anywhere. Not just hotels / motels. They can be in the towels at hair salons, restaurants that use linens, basically everywhere. It's not because your home is dirty because her home was always immaculate and clean. ETA: they also had to board their dogs for the day because the high heat would be fatal for them. Warning number 2 is that when you return, your home will feel like an oven and so e things will be melted from the heat.