Trusted Contributor

We spend a lot of time at Hilton Head Island.  Our family lives on island.  The island gets very very crowded during summer.  The residents tell me they try to stay within their communities at that time and don't venture out.  We visit in the spring (not heritage golf time) and rent for the month of October.  If I were you, I would rent until I am sure that's where I want to live out my life.  Friends i.e. Full time residents...have said we should have rented instead of buying.  Beaufort is a pretty town. I personally would rent to learn the lay of the landscape!  

Trusted Contributor

Parris Island being there, I wonder if the constant rotation of bootcamp groups (every 13 weeks) in and out, in and out, brings lots of traffic problems?

Every graduation is a BIG thing, and friends and family make whatever haul they need to make to be there for the graduating Marines.

Then add the Hilton Head people going through to get to their beach homes.

That is just my own thought, I hate traffic. I went to a graduation at Parris Island and it was pretty busy on the roads, and that was 8 years ago. Parris Island stays the same, but I would think Hilton Head has built up more, so more people influx in the summer.

It really is beautiful down there though. I flew in and out of Savannah, one day to walk around. Such history, the buildings etc, so beautiful.

I wish you strength as you go through this major life change. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Beaufort is a beautiful place. I have spent time there. There are nice restaurants and shops and it has nice arts things to do. It is not a bustling city with a ton of things to do. People travel to /charleston or Savannah for different activities. It is made up now of a lot of people from different parts of the country. There is a strong military presence.  The culture and history is rich. It is sometimes different to fit in with the beanyeahs. I think it is mostly due to the variety of people and you can be there a while without really meeting  them. I highly suggest to anyone to research and visit a place before making that jump. There may be another place tha tsuits you better. It depends on what you like and are looking for. It does make a lot of top lists for retiring but it may not be for the things that are important to you. The Big Chill was also filmed there. Think about what activities you like to do.  It is humid in the summer.

doxie

Honored Contributor

maybe rent in the town/area that you are interested in before buying

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 - I wholeheartedly agree with you about renting before you buy anywhere. You really do need to see either the hottest/coldest months combined with tourist time/traffic. We venture out very little in the summer months and do stay closer to home. Good advice

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the kind words, information and suggestions. I most certainly will rent first. What an adventure!

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously if you want a senior friendly community then Sun City Hilton Head is where you want to be.  They have a web site where you can get lots of information.

Occasional Contributor

I live 50 miles away. Actually was in Beaufort today! Beautiful place. I think you would like it. Traffic not as bad as Hilton Head or Sun City Area. 

Respected Contributor

Be prepared for the mandatory Rain and Wind insurance annually, that costs about $2200-. States make it mandatory if you have a mortgage. Also, are you prepared to get through hurricanes, esp. Cat. 3+ by yourself , or evacuate?

Sorry, but I did feel the need to act a devil's advocate here. I'm sure you are aware of this having already been by the SC coast.

It came as a shock to my DH when he was househunting. We're from New England.

Esteemed Contributor

@maestra - and, thank heavens we did have that insurance - we had a freak hail storm a couple of years ago and it wiped out almost every roof in our community. Our insurance did pay for it after having someone out to inspect the roof. Otherwise, that would have been a hefty bill.