Respected Contributor

Back Fence in August - still hot!!!

August is normally our hottest month of the year - along with September - but do not believe that is necessarily going to be the case this year. It has been a miserable and hot summer with humidity ragimg!!!!! In recent years humidity has been really bad and to think I moved here from New Orleans to escape that sticky miserable stuff. Sigh.

Do hope we have a lot of visitors - again I will say we miss the ones who use to stop by regularly. Many of those we do not see on the boards anywhere and what a loss for the rest of us - some great people with interesting comments.

Brought along some ice cream cones so hurry by!! They are delicious!!!

We always have some shade here, we keep the area weeded and have lots of pretty flowers by the Fence - come on by!

Regular Contributor

Re: Back Fence in August - still hot!!!

Can't resist an ce cream cone!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}Thanks, Freddie and also for proping up ye olde fence. It does look pretty with those patio tables and umbrella's not to mention the fans to help ward off the summer heat. However, not to brag or nuthin' but it was 78 yesterday when Jim and I took a little drive to pick up my scooter on the new lift and just drive around a little.
We stopped at Sonic and I ordered a cherry coke which I don't remember having since I was about 13. Somehow it just didn't taste the same as it did in my memory, but it was a nice outing anyway. Despite the fact that our town is only about 14 and a half thousand, we discovered a part we'd never seen. There was a neat little park and beyond that a lake. We were just amazed to find it and the fall weather was wonderful! All of the summer rain here has been so appreciated, but the humidity it's created has really done a number on my already difficult ability to breathe. Jim had to turn the dehumidifier on and that seemed to help some.

Sherron you need to come on over to the fence and let us help you celebrate your birthday. Hope it was a special day for you.

Oh, my, Epi, what a treat for you. I would love to be able to attend one of their performances. And it's wonderful that you are able to attend; so glad you've improved as quickly as you have though it probably doesn't seem quick to you.

Hey Bird Mama, congrats on your health accomplishment! What a relief for you. I copied and pasted the name of the product you use and intend to get some. Thanks for sharing that.

Freddie, are your grandkids still with you and if so how are you holding up. I hope they're helping you. How'd Conrad like his day at the spa?

Happy Friday all. Sue

Honored Contributor

It's cloudy, drizzly and humid here but at least it's not getting hotter than 82 degrees. I didn't have to kick the A/C on yesterday. If the humidity gets too bad today, I might turn it on.

I puttered around at Kmart after running a couple of errands yesterday (day off). Nothing really moved me, but I remain hopeful that they will start getting more 'play' tops in for fall.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

well, we enjoyed our night out. My DH and son in law were in awe of cirque du solie. was great as usual.

Am concerned about HASD. have not heard from her and she has yet to open her e card that I sent. I have noticed that she has not been on the boards at all. guess all I can do is send her a message and see if she replys. Sad we don't know if something is wrong or not with someone. I hope all is OK with her.

Respected Contributor

Boy Howdy - yesterday was a day straight from heaven. Very cool, humidity still high but it was ok due to the temps. Winds and R A I N almost steady all afternoon. The rain, unfortunately caused a lot of damage however. WE have had so many fires the past few years and so little rain that when you finally get some moisture, things go beserk. Roads destroyed, flash floods and a lot of mud slides. Two roads around me are completely closed - Oak Glen and the road to Forest Falls. Roads are impassable. I think that is all we will get - rain that is - not nearly enough but what a blessing. NO AC at all yesterday - that will help my pocketbook. Today is the day the electric company is asking us to conserve - from 2 to 6 p.m. Unplug everything and do not use TV - you name it. Am hoping it will stay a tad cool and it will make it easier. You never know when you will get the notice - mine comes via an email - I did sign up for it two years ago and cannot always abide by it but did quite a lot last year. One day last summer I literally followed all their suggestions and almost died as it was 100 plus. LOL. On following days when we were requested to cut back I had to turn the ac on - low but on, by at least 4 or 5 but did manage that. It is a difficult thing to do. Perhaps does not sound like it would be but it is - what do you do for four hours - no tv, no computer, no nothing which requires electricity. B O R I N G. Also last summer I got the notice often one day after another. So far this year the requests have been spaced out.

Just heard on TV that the Oak Glen road is open - that is a good thing.

Yesterday church was outstanding. Took a friend and we went to Calimesa Calimesa Country Club after church - very very good and my friend saw a lot of people she knew.Me? Didn't know one of them. LOL.

Hope all have a great day.

Regular Contributor

I discovered this poem I wrote soon after the first Back Fence was built and thought I'd repost it.

The Back Fence Bunch

From Maine to California, mid snow and sun and rain

Lean on this fence and laugh and cry and share with us your pain...or gain

A place to go when we're shut in or even when we're not

Maybe just a jiffy spent if that's all the time we've got

Check on one another, bringing laughs and tears and smiles

It makes us all feel closer and diminishes the miles.

We're old we're young, we're in between

Maybe fat or thin or cute or not, we're still in our old jeans.

We're red, and brown and black and white

Sometimes smart, but sometimes not real bright.

Country dwellers, urbanites, animal lovers too

Dad's, kids and aunts come to the fence ~ listen to the dove's coo.

Bougainvillea grows here, but also the mesquite

The pine and morning glories make this visual complete.

What a wonderful graceful fence we've built

No one's left out, just friends standing to the hilt.

I'll probably never meet you, except in my mind;s eye

But through my trusty puter, to that old back fence I'll fly!

Sue AKA Queenofo2 2001

Trusted Contributor

On 8/5/2014 Queenofo2 said:

I discovered this poem I wrote soon after the first Back Fence was built and thought I'd repost it.

The Back Fence Bunch

From Maine to California, mid snow and sun and rain

Lean on this fence and laugh and cry and share with us your pain...or gain

A place to go when we're shut in or even when we're not

Maybe just a jiffy spent if that's all the time we've got

Check on one another, bringing laughs and tears and smiles

It makes us all feel closer and diminishes the miles.

We're old we're young, we're in between

Maybe fat or thin or cute or not, we're still in our old jeans.

We're red, and brown and black and white

Sometimes smart, but sometimes not real bright.

Country dwellers, urbanites, animal lovers too

Dad's, kids and aunts come to the fence ~ listen to the dove's coo.

Bougainvillea grows here, but also the mesquite

The pine and morning glories make this visual complete.

What a wonderful graceful fence we've built

No one's left out, just friends standing to the hilt.

I'll probably never meet you, except in my mind;s eye

But through my trusty puter, to that old back fence I'll fly!

Sue AKA Queenofo2 2001

Great Poem Sue!!!!!!!! thank you for sharing your talent with us. the poem rings true.....
Respected Contributor

Hi Epi - hope things are going well with you.

Sue, I remember that poem - how nice of you to post it again. Time marches on.

Heat temps rising again but so far the humidity has been very very low - that is a blessing for sure.

Am so tired - did hardly anything but stayed in my room a good portion of the day. Solmetimes the mouths on those young ones really get to me. I would just never talk to an adult at their age - or even now - like they do and I cnnot seem to get them in gear. Still hoping tgheir Mother can find some place for them - I know she is struggling but these kids should be under their own roof - a tent or whatever. LOL.

Hope all had a great day. Tomorrow will be a busy one for me.

Honored Contributor

Sue, thanks for sharing your poem. As a relative newcomer to the Fence, your poem makes me feel even more welcome.

Winifred, the kids should be going to back to school soon, right? Hopefully they'll get settled before then.

Epi - I've only seen Cirque on public TV shows. I bet they must be something else to see them live.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Bird mama said:

Sue, thanks for sharing your poem. As a relative newcomer to the Fence, your poem makes me feel even more welcome.

Winifred, the kids should be going to back to school soon, right? Hopefully they'll get settled before then.

Epi - I've only seen Cirque on public TV shows. I bet they must be something else to see them live.

Birdmama, the show indeed is amazing. they are all different,but each is excellent. No nets or safety wires are used in the acts-really scarry!!!!!! beautiful costumes and each show tells a story. VERY expensive to see, but if you can somehow go to just one it is well worth it!!!!!! went to Dr. Today, still pain and nausea. Will go back next week to different Dr. To make appt. to have out patient procedure done. Probably blocked bile duct. Glad to have this finally taken care of. On the good side, I have lost about 23 pounds, not just a fun way to lose,LOL!!!!!!