Respected Contributor

Yes, I had one that I stopped using a while ago, and then when I went to use it, I couldn't find the little paddle so I ended up getting rid of it. 

I waited months to get my new smaller Cuisinart brand.  I ordered it from Williams Sonoma and waited about 4 months until I happened to stumble across one that was available on line from Kohls and snapped it up.  

I make a 1 pound loaf of white bread each weekend since it only lasts about 6-7 days before it gets mold on it since it has no preservatives.

And since I'm on WW, I usually only use a few slices each week and I got tired of buying bread and throwing it away every couple of weeks.  And there is nothing like the smell of bread baking.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: BREAD MACHINES

[ Edited ]

I had a bread machine, but did not use it as much as I thought I would. Gave it to a friend.

Respected Contributor

I'm thinking of getting one.  Which one do you recommend?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I love my bread machine.  I use it all the time in the winter for great breads with grains (seeds, nuts, raisins) - healthy and delicious.  I have been using my Wolfgang Puck for several years that he had on HSN a few years ago.  He just had a TSV the other day and I could not resist getting it in red.  His machine makes perfect bread every single time.  And the smell in my kitchen is incredible.

Honored Contributor

I have been watching a Hamilton Beach one on Amazon.  It doesn't have the yogurt setting, but I have no intentions of making yogurt.  It does have the jam setting and you can use that to make other things that require constant stirring like oatmeal or risotto.  The only other thing it doesn't have the the WP TSV does is the automatic dispenser for nuts, fruits, etc.  It does have some sort of reminder for when it's time to add those ingredients, but that does mean you have to be nearby to listen for it.  The Zakarian one also has that dispenser, but I don't think it does a 2 lb loaf if that's important.  It's the same price the WP TSV was.  I just don't know that the automatic dispenser is worth the extra $30 to me.  I also like that the Hamilton Beach one has an elongated pan, albeit small, so a bit closer to the shape of a normal loaf, although cooking in a regular loaf pan is also an option.

If you want the best, a Zojiurshi is the one to get from everything I've heard, but too pricey for how much I would ever use one.  

I did used to have one many years ago that looked like R2D2 by DAK and it made a big round loaf.  It was good, but didn't have the advanced settings we have now for the heavier whole grain breads.  I sold it several years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

We had one for several years back in the 90's and 2000's.  Used it once or twice a week.  Homemade bread makes a great gift for holidays and birthdays.  Plus, we got hooked on homemade sourdough and Hawaiian bread.   

Then it broke, and we didn't replace it.   Until now.  Hubby just ordered a new Wolfgang Puck breadmaker the other day and we can't wait to get it!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@catlover Like so many, we bought one, used it for a while, then it went to the back of the closet. My husband did not like the texture of the dough, or the bread always seemed to come out in a twisted knot kind of thing. It seemed like the final product was always too rubbery.

How long did you have it before it stopped working?

Honored Contributor

When being carb conscious, bread machines when out.  I no longer use mine.  I should give it away.  Years ago they were everywhere.  Not so much anymore. 

Trusted Contributor

LOL, @lovesallanimals, I watched the Wolfgang one this weekend and then I remembered that I had his older one in my garage. So, I got that out and have made 2 different kinds of bread. I am going to make sourdough this weekend, since that is what I like to have with a bowl of soup, and it is finally cooling down here in AZ. It seems like I  am seeing more bread maker presentations lately on these shopping channels: Curtis Stone, Wolfgang, GZ have all had new ones recently.

I am glad I rediscovered mine.