Honored Contributor

BLACK HISTORY MONTH AND 3 INTERESTING HISTORICAL FIGURES

[ Edited ]

Black History Month is celebrated here, and in Canada in February.  Other countries started designating similar months of observance, like Holland, Britain and Ireland.  My tiny contribution:

Jeremiah Hamilton, born 1807, died 1875, is a complex, enigmatic figure.  He was a 'first'--  first African American multi-millionaire, and broker on Wall Street, and the wealthiest in the 19th century.  Prize-winning Australian historian Shane White produced a well-received biography of the Wall Streeter a few years ago, but some aspects of his life are still hard to come by.  To me, he has aspects of a 19th century "Jay Gatsby",  F. Scott Fitzgerald's fabled fictional buccaneer of finance.  

Born in either the Caribbean or in Richmond, Virginia, possibly of slave origins, he was in Haiti at one point, then escaped under dubious circumstances and was established in New York by 1833.

Wall_street_1867.jpg

He was a ruthless, pre-Civil War financial wizard, dealing with both black and white entrepreneurs, and was crudely nicknamed "The Prince of Darkness", as much for the fear he engendered in weaker financial foes, as for his ethnicity.  

amazon_image_e1c7ece341ec23fd83ac5cd2caaec548c02183b0.jpg

Hamilton speculated, wheeled and dealed, and amassed a 2 million dollar fortune, equivalent to 250 million in today's dollars.  He lived well in a remote New Jersey mansion. He famously tangled with the legendary Cornelius Vanderbilt.  It is absolutely extraordinary that when Vanderbilt died, one front page newspaper obituary included the line, "There was only one man who ever fought the Commodore to the end, and that was Jeremiah Hamilton".

Now, regardless of whatever shadowy money dealings were involved in his life, imagine the force of personality required-- in that time and place-- for someone of Hamilton's background to even conduct his business and to flourish the way he did.  The sheer drive and daring, the tenacity and crafty smarts it must have taken-- to keep pushing against the obstacles he faced.  Remarkable.  

The best known of this trio is, of course, Phillis Wheatley (sometimes spelled Phyllis Wheatly).  She fascinates  because of her intellect and literary prowess.  Brought from Senegal as a slave to Boston as a child, she was purchased by the Wheatley family.  They schooled her in Greek, Latin, theology, literature, along with their daughter.  In a very short time, she was speaking English, reading prodigiously, and then writing, elegant poems influenced by the work of Alexander Pope. 

81+KX0hSHKL.jpg

Phillis Wheatley was the first English speaking person of African descent to publish a book.  She had wide-ranging interests--  one of her poems was about Englishman George Whitefield, the Anglican evangelist of the 18th century.   A proponent of American independence, she was a pro-Revolutionary patriot, and another poem was a tribute to George Washington.  More on that in a minute.

So, while still enslaved, her book was published in 1773, with the help of an English supporter, Selina Hastings, the Countess of Huntingdon.  She became an international sensation.  Benjamin Franklin offered his services to her.  That poem that she had written about Washington touched his heart-- his subsequent letter to her is fascinating.  She later met with him, in March of 1776.

Freed from slavery, Phillis Wheatley married a free man of color, but had many struggles, including ill health.  She had a tragically short life, dying in Boston her thirties.  She was a prodigy, with astonishing talents, and in the short time that she had, made maximum impact.

snapshot.jpgWhat a beautiful artifact--  this is the desk where Phillis Wheatley wrote. 

James Armistead Lafayette

Screenshot_2021-02-11 How an Enslaved Man-Turned-Spy Helped Secure Victory at the Battle of Yorktown.jpg 

It's estimated that about 5000 African Americans served in the Revolutionary war on the patriot side, most notably in the Continental Army's integrated Rhode Island Regiment.

Soldiers_at_the_siege_of_Yorktown_(1781),_by_Jean-Baptiste-Antoine_DeVerger_edited.jpg  

The prospect of freedom granted to those slaves who fought, was a powerful incentive, coupled with pro- Independence sentiment on the part of people of color.

Virginian James Armistead was born a slave in Virginia, and joined the Continental Army under America's great ally, the French Marquis de Lafayette.  To spy on the British, he was to pretend to be a runaway slave who "hired on" as a supposed servant with the British commander, Cornwallis, becoming an effective patriot spy and double agent.

Armistead was able to move between the American and British camps.  The detailed intelligence that the nimble spy was able to bring to the American cause is credited for helping to set the stage for George Washington's 1781 victory at Yorktown.

When Cornwallis was later to see that Armistead was allied with de Lafayette, he was said to not believe his eyes, so well had Armistead played his role.

Armistead's owner, William Armistead, along with Lafayette, later petitioned the Virginia assembly to have James Armistead freed.  As a gesture of thanks, James Armistead added Lafayette to his name, becoming James Armistead Lafayette.  When Lafayette later made his triumphant return to America, he spotted Armistead in a group gathered to see him, and embraced his former confederate.   Armistead retired from his military exploits to become a farmer in New Kent County, Virginia.

Edited for incorrectly typing "1981" instead of "1781"--  force of habit!

Honored Contributor

Re: BLACK HISTORY MONTH AND 3 INTERESTING HISTORICAL FIGURES

I always love history and there is so much of it to read about and know.  My history courses at school touched upon much but not in the details it should have.  I enjoyed your three stories of greats who contributed to our culture.  I do remember reading about Armistead and all he did.  I am sure there were so many heros we aren't familiar with and I thank you for some interesting facts about people who dared and did well.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @spiderw --  history is the best.   It seems there's always more to know, and never enough time left to catch up.  Wish I'd pursued it more avidly in those "formative" years!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing these interesting stories @Oznell . I have always loved history. There are two quotes I like concerning history: "The past is a foreign country, they viewed things differently there." And a quote by Winston Churchill: "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future."

I recently bought a DVD entitled "A More Perfect Union" which was made in 1987 for the Bicentennial celebration of the U.S. Constitution. (The film was officially recognized and given their seal of approval by the Commission on the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution). It was filmed on location at Independence Hall and other historic locations in Virginia. The film was digitally remastered in 2019 and re-released. I bought my copy online from Deseret Bookstore but I noticed they also sell it on Amazon. 

A brief description of the film: "America 1786. Ten years have passed since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. But America's hopes for a united country are dangerously threatened. England raises a new war of unfair trade and tariffs. Fragmented states continually bicker...But a handful of brilliant courageous men, James Madison, George Washington, and Benjamin Franklin lead a diplomatic battle that culminates in Philadelphia..."

It's interesting to see how the small states and the large states argued about how they would be represented in a national government - how they came up with the number of senators and congressmen. Plus, a little bonus, you get a free pocket size Constitution included in the DVD (and some quotes by George Washington, John Adams, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin, and Samuel Adams). 

Honored Contributor

Such meaty, thouht-provoking quotes, @cimeranrose --  I had never heard the Churchill one before, excellent!

That DVD sounds like something I'd want in my library.  The wrangling and the delicate maneuvering by these brilliant men, to evolve the most perfect union, is endlessly fascinating, as is the societal context of difficult, fractious tiimes that you reference.  Thanks, @cimeranrose !

Esteemed Contributor

There is a great deal of Black History that many are not aware of.  Black History IS American History.  We must remember this.

Black Wall Street.  I just learned about this a couple of years ago.

Nearly a century ago, thousands of Black Tulsa, Oklahoma residents had built a self-sustaining community that supported hundreds of Black-owned businesses. It was known as “Black Wall Street.”  A tragic event perpetrated on Black Wall Street, which has been described as “the single worst incident of racial violence in American history.”

The incident, which is estimated to have claimed the lives of up to 300 (the vast majority being Black), devastated a neighborhood that had grown over the previous 15 years to become one of the wealthiest enclaves for Black Americans in the country. 

Still, for many Americans, the June 1, 1921 massacre and the history of Tulsa’s “Black Wall Street” neighborhood represent a gap in their knowledge of American history.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Thanks very much,  @gertrudecloset --  a most tragic historic episode, of most importance to study. 

Esteemed Contributor

Indeed @Oznell while you're at it, you can also look up Henrietta Lacks and the contributions she made to our country (although she was not aware of it).

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Yes, indeed, @gertrudecloset ,  I had run across that incredible story not so long ago.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

Image result for welcome bee

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~