Esteemed Contributor

Re: BEYOND MEATS

[ Edited ]

@elated  I'm wondering if this is reflective of the supply chain and employment issues happening in many companies these days or an indication of people realizing that this kind of product isn't desirable. Jury is still out. IMO there are so many vegetarian and vegan recipes available that don't involve turning vegetables and grains into something meat eaters like to eat. You can find completely satisfying vegetarian and vegan recipes in Indian cuisine that make use of whole foods and don't contain ingredients from a science experiment. And, that's just one example. I never could figure out why people wanted vegan meat (and shrimp - actually saw that in a Philly market.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@new nickname 4   I choose not to eat meat products or meat analogs...many like me.  

@ValuSkr  Maybe this will help you understand why someone would choose a meat analog.  They might not want to support a cruel industry so they choose a plant based meat.   They understand the environmental consequences of eating animals and supporting farm factories. (There are companies exploring marketing this type of product as the meat industry is unsustainable. They are capitalizing on this reality in the future.)  Also some are working on transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and use these products to build that bridge to a healthier lifestyle,  There are several reasons why a person might choose to eat a Beyond Meat product.  I respect any of these decisions.

It's about ethics/values/priorities not about the taste (for some it might be). 

The more one researches this decision whether it be from an ethical, environment, or health perspective, the easier it is to understand why one might choose this decision. Also my lifestyle is not only healthy but extremely tasty and enjoyable.

I could cite many references, but if you want to research the validity of any of this information or just curious, Will Tuttle is a good comprehensive source.  The Game Changers is an amazing film.  Rich Roll's pod casts will encourage you and provide you with an source of inspiring expert interviews.  

Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm  OMG.....Exactly how I have felt for, well.......forever.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  Thank you for your kind decision.  You can add pus and blood (milk products especially). Because of the continuous pregnancies and excessive milking, many dairy cows suffer from mastitis. As well as being painful for the cows this means there is blood and pus in their milk. In the US the FDA allows 750 million pus cells in every litre of milk.  Watch Huge Pus - The Gross Reality of the Meat Industry YT

@Lucky Charm wrote:

When I eat a Beyond Burger, I'm eating something that doesn't have blood vessels of hundreds of cows, or cartilage, flesh, arteries, fat and even poop.

Is that okay with you?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Re Beyond Meat: It's Beyond Me why vegans - if they don't like meat - nevertheless want products that look and taste like real meat.

@ValuSkr 

You may have missed a vital point here.

I am a Lacto / Ova Vegetarian and have been for decades.

Never have I said I do not like meat.  Instead I made a conscious decision not to eat meat, or meat products.

This decision is based on not wanting to be part of the death and slaughter of animals, and the fact that I feel physically better when I do not eat meat.

My decision had nothing to do with not liking the taste of meat.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe,

Me too-the same reasonsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

After watching Dr. Pol and how he attends to all those cows, it's getting harder for me to eat beef. I can just picture those sweet little calves and cows being killed and then strung up. I Still do eat beef but it's getting harder and I might give it up completely. I know I sure couldn't eat horsemeat.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Re Beyond Meat: It's Beyond Me why vegans - if they don't like meat - nevertheless want products that look and taste like real meat.

@ValuSkr   I am not sure why you cannot understand that quite a few people, including myself, choose not to eat a slaughtered animal.

@Mersha  You misunderstood.  I don't eat meat either.  So why would I - or anyone else that's vegan - want to eat something that looks and tastes like meat?

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

@ValuSkr

Why do low cabers try to recreate low carb versions of carby  foods?🤣😉

But it’s the people trying to find meat substitutes who get criticized. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@bikerbabe  Who is criticizing?  I just don't understand how vegans - or folks who don't like meat - nevertheless enjoy meat-like processed food.  Help me out!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@new nickname 4   I choose not to eat meat products or meat analogs...many like me.  

@ValuSkr  Maybe this will help you understand why someone would choose a meat analog.  They might not want to support a cruel industry so they choose a plant based meat.   They understand the environmental consequences of eating animals and supporting farm factories. (There are companies exploring marketing this type of product as the meat industry is unsustainable. They are capitalizing on this reality in the future.)  Also some are working on transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and use these products to build that bridge to a healthier lifestyle,  There are several reasons why a person might choose to eat a Beyond Meat product.  I respect any of these decisions.

It's about ethics/values/priorities not about the taste (for some it might be). 

The more one researches this decision whether it be from an ethical, environment, or health perspective, the easier it is to understand why one might choose this decision. Also my lifestyle is not only healthy but extremely tasty and enjoyable.

I could cite many references, but if you want to research the validity of any of this information or just curious, Will Tuttle is a good comprehensive source.  The Game Changers is an amazing film.  Rich Roll's pod casts will encourage you and provide you with an source of inspiring expert interviews.  

@phoenixbrd   You misunderstood.  I don't eat meat either - for all the reasons you mentioned.  My question was why would I - or anyone else who doesn't like meat - still like this processed food that looks and tastes like meat?  I don't.