Esteemed Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

Just got my renewal letter from BCBS per healthcare.gov.  My premium is now 300.00 a month.  The new premium starting Jan 1, 2016 will be 424.44!!  That is over a 40% increase!!  When I had private insurance 2 years ago the premiums NEVER went up that much. So much for "affordable" healthcare and you can keep your hospital and your Dr. - I will be losing both.

@physicsnut

You're making out like a bandit because we pay $218.00 per WEEK for private insurance.

My policy is just for me - a single policy - not family and yes, 424.00 IS ridiculous- especially for someone like me, who is in excellent health and takes no meds. I noticed you said "we".  I had private pay insurance the year after my employer dropped health insurance for us and private pay didn't even go up that much, but now most private pay companies are in align with the unafforadable marketplace plans.

@physicsnut

I remember the last time we had this discussion, you posted that you were self employed, had several workers and couldn'r afford to pay their insurance. 

As long as I can remember, insurance premiums have been on the rise each and every year and this is well before the ACA was enacted..

As a single person, you have multiple options for insurance plans.  According to what your needs are, you should be able to find a plan to suit your needs and purse.   

Again, don't blame the ACA, blame your employer..

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor
I take the OP's posts with a grain of salt. She usually posts misinformation and mistruths just to stir up a supposed controversy.
Honored Contributor

It's a marketplace - you go in and chose from the options one you can afford.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
I take the OP's posts with a grain of salt. She usually posts misinformation and mistruths just to stir up a supposed controversy.

Very true, Lila.

But I always want to repeat the facts - because some people read posts like hers and believe what they are reading.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

Just got my renewal letter from BCBS per healthcare.gov.  My premium is now 300.00 a month.  The new premium starting Jan 1, 2016 will be 424.44!!  That is over a 40% increase!!  When I had private insurance 2 years ago the premiums NEVER went up that much. So much for "affordable" healthcare and you can keep your hospital and your Dr. - I will be losing both.

I got my letter from healthcare.gov today, too.  Mine went up more than yours did.  It's really shocking.  I already have a $2,500 deductible.  I don't know what I'll have to go to now.  I can't afford the amount my current health insurance will be in January, but I obviously have to have health insurance.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

I got my letter from healthcare.gov today, too.  Mine went up more than yours did.  It's really shocking.  I already have a $2,500 deductible.  I don't know what I'll have to go to now.  I can't afford the amount my current health insurance will be in January, but I obviously have to have health insurance.

Your premium will go up if you stick with that one particular plan.

Check them all out. Most insurers offer several variations on each metal level. They raise rates on some and lower them on others.

Don't take that letter as the final word...you have to look around - that's why it's a Marketplace.,

The same thing happens to Medicare plans every year too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

Go back to healthcare.gov, go into the marketplace and seek other options.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why people don't realize there ARE options out there ..... in 2010,  BEFORE the ACA,  I signed up for a single plan at $318/month, and within 2 years it had jumped to $739/month!!      Trust me, "Obamacare" had nothing to do with that.

Insurance isn't cheap, but there are different levels of coverage.    Instead of complaining, do some research and make an informed decision.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

Check them all out. Most insurers offer several variations on each metal level. They raise rates on some and lower them on others.

Don't take that letter as the final word...you have to look around - that's why it's a Marketplace.,

Yes, I'll definitely go to the Marketplace and look around.  I need to keep the price around what I'm paying now (although that is really too high) but not sure I'll be able to.  I just got the letter today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

Yes, I know all about the Marketplace and all about the different plans and other options. Why do you think my premium was only 300.00? It is really a catastrophic plan with a 5000.00 deductible so I wouldn't have to pay the now mandated IRS gov. laws!!  These plans are a joke and pretty much cover nothing until you get to a gold level which the premiums are ridiculous!!!   We need to be able to shop state to state as Trump has proposed to have competition - then and only then - will premiums go down.  I just can't wait to sign up for a 10,000 deductible plan now!!!

Spoiler