Honored Contributor

However you slice it, looking at the premiums so many folks on this thread are paying, the term 'affordable' does NOT seem universally to apply...  I suppose it works out nicely for some folks, just not the ones paying for it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Just wait until they won't pay for mammograms anymore like they do now. Just the beginning....of course they said that was never gonna happen. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you suggesting that if a certain party (who have consistently voted against women's issues) gains the WH women will lose coverage?

Sadly, you may be right in that scenario.

I'm suggesting that since the government is in the healthcare business now that we will continue to see "guidelines" changed to reduce the benefits to the consumer in favor of lower costs to the government. What's next??  Oh, do you really need a Pap smear every year?  How often do you need your blood sugar checked?  How about that medication your doctor says you need?  Psst, what does your doctor know??  Let the government decide. They do such a jam up job with everything else. What's that?  Let's just raise some more taxes and give a ton of the money to foreign countries.  What debt??

Sarah, is that you? You forgot to mentiont the death panels.

Actually the guidelines were changed already...Paps every three years until 65 and none after 65 except history of HPV.   The government changes guidelines based on ACS guidelines. 

Wow that's disturbing. I'm in my late 50's. I remember women when I was growing up getting cervical cancer. Once women started getting yearly paps, cervical cancer has been pretty much eliminated. What the heck are they doing with women's health issues?  Are we going backwards?

And what about HPV?  If it's not visible don't you need a pap to pick it up?  Won't you be spreading HPV if you don't get a pap for three years?  I know there is a vaccine but how many young people actually get it?

How have insurance companies responded?  Will they pay if your doctor deems necessary?  I know it changed for me but I'm post hyster so it seemed unnecessary every year for me anyway.  

HPV causes cervical cancer.  If you haven't had HPV and are not at risk for HPV, your chances of getting cervical cancer are slim.  That's why, if you're in a low risk group, you don't need the pap every year. HPV is discovered by pap and some develop genital warts.

I guess that's my point. If you are a young woman who happens to contract HPV right after your pap, you would not know you have HPV until 3 years later unless you have warts. That seems like a long time to go without treatment and yearly monitoring Pap smears. Not to mention possibly infecting others if you don't know you have it. Of course everyone should be practicing safe sex anyway, but young women drinking and partying don't always. Maybe being aware you have HPV wouldn't change that behavior in those cases. 

Perhaps HPV is slow to develop into cervical cancer, I don't know. At any rate, I'll get off my soapbox.  It just seems stupid to change things that are working now. I hope that we don't see an increase in a totally preventable cancer in young women. 

If you are a young woman who is having relations outside of a monogomous (on both sides) relationship, then you are considered high risk and would have the pap yearly.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Just wait until they won't pay for mammograms anymore like they do now. Just the beginning....of course they said that was never gonna happen. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you suggesting that if a certain party (who have consistently voted against women's issues) gains the WH women will lose coverage?

Sadly, you may be right in that scenario.

I'm suggesting that since the government is in the healthcare business now that we will continue to see "guidelines" changed to reduce the benefits to the consumer in favor of lower costs to the government. What's next??  Oh, do you really need a Pap smear every year?  How often do you need your blood sugar checked?  How about that medication your doctor says you need?  Psst, what does your doctor know??  Let the government decide. They do such a jam up job with everything else. What's that?  Let's just raise some more taxes and give a ton of the money to foreign countries.  What debt??

Sarah, is that you? You forgot to mentiont the death panels.

Actually the guidelines were changed already...Paps every three years until 65 and none after 65 except history of HPV.   The government changes guidelines based on ACS guidelines. 

Wow that's disturbing. I'm in my late 50's. I remember women when I was growing up getting cervical cancer. Once women started getting yearly paps, cervical cancer has been pretty much eliminated. What the heck are they doing with women's health issues?  Are we going backwards?

And what about HPV?  If it's not visible don't you need a pap to pick it up?  Won't you be spreading HPV if you don't get a pap for three years?  I know there is a vaccine but how many young people actually get it?

How have insurance companies responded?  Will they pay if your doctor deems necessary?  I know it changed for me but I'm post hyster so it seemed unnecessary every year for me anyway.  

HPV causes cervical cancer.  If you haven't had HPV and are not at risk for HPV, your chances of getting cervical cancer are slim.  That's why, if you're in a low risk group, you don't need the pap every year. HPV is discovered by pap and some develop genital warts.

I guess that's my point. If you are a young woman who happens to contract HPV right after your pap, you would not know you have HPV until 3 years later unless you have warts. That seems like a long time to go without treatment and yearly monitoring Pap smears. Not to mention possibly infecting others if you don't know you have it. Of course everyone should be practicing safe sex anyway, but young women drinking and partying don't always. Maybe being aware you have HPV wouldn't change that behavior in those cases. 

Perhaps HPV is slow to develop into cervical cancer, I don't know. At any rate, I'll get off my soapbox.  It just seems stupid to change things that are working now. I hope that we don't see an increase in a totally preventable cancer in young women. 

Yes that is the thinking re cancer screening....not that I agree.  HPV to cancer usually goes in stages and you usually don't go from Stage 1 to cervical cancer in a short time.