Honored Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

I say let'em all do the news topless, LOL ... anyone gotten a good look at Harris Faulkner's super duper spider eyelashes lately?  Talk about glammed up!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Valued Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I think those that are more focused on what a news person is wearing than what is being said are not really listening to the "news".

I'm listening to the news.   I used to work as a producer in a radio news talk station.  It has nothing to do with being jealous of successful women.   Women want to be judged by their brains.   We fight for years to be taken seriously and not be judged for our looks or figures and body parts.   There are a lot of women out there vying for anchor jobs who want to display something other than their curves.

@Frosted Cake Can you please explain how you could make this statement yet start a thread like this?  This seems to contradict the intention behind your original post.

Cause most professional women who don't want to be judged for how they look don't find the need to have to whip 'em out.   

Heck, why don't I just wear a slinky sundress and stilettos on my next job interview knowing my interviewer is a man.   Hopefully, he'll see my long history of work experience, too.

Trusted Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I think those that are more focused on what a news person is wearing than what is being said are not really listening to the "news".

I'm listening to the news.   I used to work as a producer in a radio news talk station.  It has nothing to do with being jealous of successful women.   Women want to be judged by their brains.   We fight for years to be taken seriously and not be judged for our looks or figures and body parts.   There are a lot of women out there vying for anchor jobs who want to display something other than their curves.

@Frosted Cake Can you please explain how you could make this statement yet start a thread like this?  This seems to contradict the intention behind your original post.

Cause most professional women who don't want to be judged for how they look don't find the need to have to whip 'em out.   

Heck, why don't I just wear a slinky sundress and stilettos on my next job interview knowing my interviewer is a man.   Hopefully, he'll see my long history of work experience, too.

Ms. Banfield was not "whipping them out."  She was dressed tastefully and professionally.  There's nothing wrong with showing a little cleavage in the workplace. Shaming each other about our bodies and clothing choices is not helpful.  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Is this another sky is falling thread or just a put down successful women again thread? 

It gets confusing to discern at times.... Woman Wink

How about neither. It seemed to me, intended to be the opinion of one poster about a particular TV personality, and what she (OP) finds unprofessional. 

People can weigh in on all sides, and as they are simply opinions about what is appropriate, when and where, there really isn't a reason to pigeon hole it into either category and sensationalize it.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot I agree 100% with you regarding Katy Tur and Hailey and I'd add Kristen Welker to that group. Sorry---but showing cleavage and breast when you are a broadcast journalist IS unprofessional and inappropriate . It has NOTHING to do with age or background. I'm surprised that there are people that don't know that.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Frosted Cake I have to admit that I probably feel more uncomfortable reading about you ruminating over Ashleigh Banfield's breasts more than you are feeling about seeing them.  Whenever I hear another woman complaining about how others should be covering themselves up, it reminds me of my travels in the Middle East.  In this country, women need to stop telling each other to cover up. She wasn't dressed inappropriately.  If the producers felt she was, they would have sent her to wardrobe to change.  

Define 'appropriate'. It varies with culture, age, personal choice etc.

It all has it's place, and at some point, the way women are dressing (or undressing is more the point) in public, there won't be fashion anymore, because nothing will be covered up.

There are social norms (and yes they change over time), but we still live in a world where if you want to be taken seriously for something besides your body, you need to dress for the occasion/event. 

She is a respected journalist with her own show on CNN.  I think she's taken pretty seriously and doing okay.  You're right, 'appropriate' is a subjective estimation, and in this case, both she and her bosses felt that she was appropriately dressed.

She and her boss have to please their viewers, more than themselves. Don't know if they are or aren't  doing that, as I'm not familiar with this person or show, but what they think 'appropriate' is secondary to the market they are trying to attract and hold.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I finally realized that the news is not really the news...it's titillation, spin (pick your side), marketing, gossip, speculation, and downright propaganda.  And, as we all know, s e x sells.

Sadly, yes, you have nailed down a very big part of today's 'news'.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

And so then is the network or the anchor achieving their goal, or not? I don't know the answer because I don't know their goal. 

The main goal one would think, would be ratings and number of viewers which translates into paid advertising and money. But beyond that, are they really caring if they present real news, or that you, the viewer, wants/gets real news or not? My guess would be that many of these all news networks don't really have 'news' and accurate news as their primary goal, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for the low cut, short skirted look of many women anchors no do I care for the "loud" ties and rumpled shirts of male anchors.

If I'm really interested in the news story and what they have to say, I can look beyond what I'm seeing on screen.

For SOME, maybe turning the channel or turning off the telly would be a good idea?  Smiley Happy

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow