Honored Contributor

Re: Art that looks like photography

You really have to give credit to these artists.

I also believe this is called hyper realism.

We saw a painting at a local museum years ago dating back to early 20th century-it was in black and white and you would swear it was a photograph.

So the technique may not be new but it seems to be seeing a revival.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

To me the emphasis is misplaced...it's on the technique rather than creating art. I'll pass on this "art" form. 

@SunValley I agree....the artists are very skilled in technique but art is more than good technique.  It has to say something rather than just reproduce an image.

Honored Contributor

I was an Art minor back in the day and my university had hired a new instructor.  I was skeptical.  One day she brought her portfolio to class.

A book of photos of herself sitting around with friends.  Big whoop.

And then I realized these weren't photos.  Well, they were, but they were photographs of her paintings.

Let's just say I was impressed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I don't care for the subject matter of these *paintings*, not even the fruit.

If it were something appealing to me, I guess I would like it.

Honored Contributor

I think it's very interesting; but I don't care for it.  I don't really care for photography as displayable art either.  Although I absolutely appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

This type of painting has been around for a while. It was called Super Realism and Photo Realism for a while. It's an astonishing level of perfectionism these artists have. It's an amazing talent. Most artists can't match them in terms of talent. They are incredible and vastly underappreciated.

If I ever build my dream house, the downstairs powder room will have the toilet to the left, the sink to the right, and a blank wall with a realistic painting of a young woman in a shower covering her private regions while looking back at whoever opened the door on her while she was showering. There will be a digital audio recording of a shower running and a young woman gasping that gets triggered by a switch as the door opens. In a perfect world, I'd hide a camera in the wall to catch the reaction of anyone who enters without knowing what to expect. (Though the camera would have to be aimed carefully to catch their expression and not their actual use of the facility.) It could be quite impressive and fun. A bit of whimsy and art combined in one. 

A powder room makes the perfect place for this type of art as those entering the room are approaching it from a fixed point. That makes the three-dimensionality easier to achieve. Many of these types of paintings when viewed from less ideal angles lose their realism pretty quickly. A powder room only has one entry and whoever enters has the same perspective on the art, and that initial shock would be fun to capture. I suspect a lot of first-time users of that powder room would end up backing away and apologizing before they realized it was just a painting. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!