Esteemed Contributor

Re: Area Code Required in city

@gidgetgh wrote:

I live in Metro Atlanta. We have had to do this for years now.  So many years that I don't remember how many.

Edited..... I just looked it up.  We've been using the full number since 1998.

@gidgetgh  yea this has been going on forever.

You know what i didn't like. When I moved here to Georgia and someone was giving you their phone number, they would say 4 for (404) or 7 (for 770) and then the number.  It was confusing for me for a while. Or instead of giving you street names when giving directions, they would give you land marks lol.

Honored Contributor

I think it's been close to twenty years that we've ad to dial the area code before the number in my part of PA. 

It was annoying at first but you get used to it.

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
Ummm...this has been the norm for 20+ years in PA! I didn't know that anywhere existed in the US that didn't do this. Learn something new every day!

@sometimesQVCaddict  Yeah, I'm one of the ones where it just started with my area code a few months ago. It feels so strange to call next door neighbor and have to dial the area code.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
Ummm...this has been the norm for 20+ years in PA! I didn't know that anywhere existed in the US that didn't do this. Learn something new every day!

@sometimesQVCaddict  Yeah, I'm one of the ones where it just started with my area code a few months ago. It feels so strange to call next door neighbor and have to dial the area code.

@proudlyfromNJ  I'm surprised. I thought everyone had to. Just imagine what it feels like if you are calling someone in the kitchen and you are upstairs.

Respected Contributor

I live in northern California, we had to start doing this 3 years ago, it took a bit to get use to it. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo 

Here's the reason:

(excerpt from Oct. 2021)

Thirty-five states and one U.S. territory will be transitioning to 10-digit dialing on Sunday.

According to the Federal Communications Commission, callers in 82 area codes will have to punch in their recipient’s area code before dialing their phone number. Local phone calls made without the area code may not be connected.

The FCC is making the change to pave the way for a nationwide three-digit National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Launching July 16, 2022, callers can be connected to suicide prevention and mental health counselors by dialing "988."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo  Has been that way here in the Bay Area for a few years now

Honored Contributor

The reason EVERYONE now has to dial the area code is that they wanted to install a suicide hotline and somehow not using the area code inteferred with it (I forget the technicalities).  I hope everyone is happy now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

we don't need to use area code for in state calls.

988 is not a local exchange in our state

Regular Contributor

Not used to this either yet, this is new for us in Western New York.