Esteemed Contributor

Re: Area Code Required in city

@CatsyCline wrote:

we don't need to use area code for in state calls.

988 is not a local exchange in our state

988 will be the nationwide number for the suicide hotline.  It will be applicable in your state and mine too @CatsyCline .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:
Wonder if this is the norm elsewhere... as of Dec 1, we now have to dial our area code with the 7-digit phone number to place a local call. It's a pain! I had to change all the saved numbers in my phone's contact list. It's like calling long distance to dial someone across the street.

Is this happening all over the USA?

@tototwo 

Wow ... that's suprising.  We have had to use the local area codes when dialing for at least a decade now ....  I thought every state required that.  Guess not.   Huh.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I live in Metro Atlanta. We have had to do this for years now.  So many years that I don't remember how many.

Edited..... I just looked it up.  We've been using the full number since 1998.

@gidgetgh  yea this has been going on forever.

You know what i didn't like. When I moved here to Georgia and someone was giving you their phone number, they would say 4 for (404) or 7 (for 770) and then the number.  It was confusing for me for a while. Or instead of giving you street names when giving directions, they would give you land marks lol.

@Sage04 - turn left at the big chicken or turn right at the big chicken!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

we don't need to use area code for in state calls.

988 is not a local exchange in our state

988 will be the nationwide number for the suicide hotline.  It will be applicable in your state and mine too @CatsyCline .

@gertrudecloset 

There are 82 area codes in 35 states and one U.S. territory that currently use "988" as their local exchange and allow seven-digit dialing.

A local exchange, also known as a central office code, is the first three numbers of a seven-digit telephone number. To prepare for implementation of a quick way to dial the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – using only "988" to connect callers to the Lifeline  – these area codes must transition to ten-digit dialing for all calls, including local calls.

Honored Contributor

I can't even remember when we didn't have to put in the area code.  I do automatically without thinking about it.  I assumed all states did it.  New Mexico population must be growing.  I was there 2 years ago visiting my sister.  I didn't use my cell phone while I was in state.  Otherwise I would have noticed!  My sister did all the phone calling.  

Respected Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

We have been doing that for many, many years in New Jersey.

Tuesday Winter Tuesday Greetings, Weekend Greetings, Morning Greetings Quotes, Birthday Greetings, Christmas Greetings, Birthday Wishes, Morning Quotes, Good Morning Winter, Good Morning Christmas

@meallen616   Love those snow people!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, in Arizona

Honored Contributor

My city started requiring area codes on December 1st. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh 

Your post is hilarious to me.

When I first moved here 5 years ago and didn't have a clue where things were, I kept getting told to get to the Big Chicken and go  from there.

A landmark, indeed!! 

Also a compass point, GPS substitute and  road map, all rolled into one.  Colonel Sanders and KFC should be proud.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Your post is hilarious to me.

When I first moved here 5 years ago and didn't have a clue where things were, I kept getting told to get to the Big Chicken and go  from there.

A landmark, indeed!! 

Also a compass point, GPS substitute and  road map, all rolled into one.  Colonel Sanders and KFC should be proud.

@novamc1 - it's been said that pilots also use the Big Chicken in addition to all the fancy equipment they have.

I passed by our beloved Big Chicken just last week.

02BD82D4-8618-4827-8BA6-692958B71B5E.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?