Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Seeing the Eclipse?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ isn't it supposed to get dark as if it were nightime???

@newjersey  I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe it's just cloudy at the moment. 

It gets "dark dark" only where there's totality.  

Respected Contributor

We maxed at 76% here in upstate SC and it just dimmed a bit.  Could definitely see a difference in the sun and fortunately the clouds weren't covering it at the time.  Didn't get to stare as we couldn't find our glasses we used in 2017 when we got the total one.  But it was nice to see and experience.  Have enjoyed the weather channel coverage and seeing the "diamond" effect.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

@newjersey  I guess since we weren't really in the path. It seemed to be way to the left of us. Looked like it curved and didn't really hit our area. 

Honored Contributor

It got night time dark here.

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

OK, how come I saw only light during this eclipse? 

@newjersey 

i did also as i was just making some soup in my kitchen.

we were at around 85% totality in the baltimore area and it was getting darker, but not anywhere near total darkness at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Here in Los Angeles it's pretty much over, although we weren't going to see much to begin with.

When I went outside to look, I noticed the QUIET.

No birds were singing .......  let me know about the birds in your area when it crosses over.  

I'm in northern Delaware where we were to get 90% totality.  About 15 minutes before the start I looked outside and nary a bird was to be found, not in the bird bath, the feeders or the trees.  Outside it was very very quiet.  We saw about 1/3 of the eclipse before the clouds took over.  Once that happened the birds were back and doing what birds normally do.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

@newjersey  I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe it's just cloudy at the moment. 

It gets "dark dark" only where there's totality.  

@JeanLouiseFinch I thought it would get totally dark. I'm directly in the path of totality; in fact, the national news was in our area only a few miles away. 

It didn't get pitch black like I thought it would because of the ring of light around the moon (perimeter of sun peeking through) when the moon was in the direct center of the sun.

Regardless, this was a really cool experience!

Esteemed Contributor

Sat in my backyard, near Dallas/Fort Worth airport with a clear unobstructed view.  Spectacular.

Honored Contributor

We are in Western MI. Sat on our front porch. The eclipse was 94% and we were able to watch it. The sun still shown-brightly and the birds still cheeped. Glad I saw it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I absolutely loved that it got so moodily black, right in the middle of the afternoon, and then quickly lightened back up again.  So atmospheric!   You could imagine it was the end of the world, in a good way (ha).