Honored Contributor

Re: Are My Expectations Unreasonable

I'm happy they don't ring the bell.  My former neighbors left their bark-y dog home alone during the day.  If a package was delivered to their front door, the dog would go crazy - if he noticed.  And ringing the bell would ensure that.  I have a condo and their front door is next to my kitchen so I heard it all.

Esteemed Contributor

Most especially when it's raining and they toss it and leave it sitting there getting wet it ticks me off.

Honored Contributor

The only delivery person who rings my bell is my UPS guy.  All others just drop off the package, send me a photo of it on the front porch and that's that.

Honored Contributor

My package service closed in March due to the virus issue (and while closed they modernized) and I had to redirect everything to my apt.

Some of the packages were left at my apartment door (delivery person did ring my bell), some smaller ones were in my mailbox and some larger ones were in the mail lobby.

BUT - every single delivery was followed quickly by an email telling me that the package was delivered and where I would find it.

Package service just re-opened this weekend .... 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

my deceased husband was a fedex driver, they are on a very tight schedule and are told not to ring or knock when delivered, just set in down and go, they are now overworked and very short staffed, because of covid it is worse than the holiday season for them, most cannot go home until all packages are delivered, meaning working until 10pm.....my suggestion is to follow the tracking number online and it will give you updates and exactly when delivered.....hth

Honored Contributor

Heck, I'd be happy if they still brought the packages up to the porch--at all.  UPS, USPS, and FedEx all used to do that.  Our regular UPS guy would ring the bell, and many of the subs would too.

The last few years, that's all stopped.  Now we no longer have a "regular" UPS man, and everyone just puts all packages by the garage door.  The problem with that for me is that I can't see my garage door, and if I don't happen to hear them drive up, I don't know I have a package.  

And they still leave everything by the garage even when it's pouring rain.  They can't walk a few extra steps on the sidewalk to the covered front porch. 😖  I know they all are on very tight schedules nowadays, but geez.  

Esteemed Contributor

My doorbell doesn't work. I usually hear them or my dogs do and go out, tell them to just put the package down and I will get it. If I don't hear them, they just leave the package in my garage and knock and leave.

They are always in a hurry here, so I don't mind them not waiting on me to open the door.

Esteemed Contributor

As someone else mentioned, I'm sure the delivery person doesn't want to wait around for a person to open the door and take the package - delivery people probably just want to finish their route and go home. Or, maybe they've had complaints about ringing door bells if the owner is sick, has sleeping babies, etc. I much prefer to get a text message that my package has been delivered. Maybe you could put a sign out to please ring the doorbell when you're expecting a delivery.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I think they get tired of talking to people. It slows down their job and they can't go home until they're done. 

@Lali1, well, they could ring or knock and immediately leave. There shouldn't be contact these days anyway.

We pretty much track, so we do know when a package is delivered. My husband is also in the habit of checking our front door before he comes upstairs at night.

We get Instacart delivery every week, and I have in my instructions to ring the doorbell. This last week was the only time that happened. Oh, well. We're here for duration anyway. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have never had anyone knock/ring for packages.

Growing up our mailman just put the mail in the box and left.  Our mail was usually delivered around the same time everyday no need to knock.We knew when to expect it.

We get mail at the PO now, we know what time it is usually sorted and we don't go any earlier than 11:00am.