Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

It's a well known slur against Asian women, what other explanation could possibly be necessary?

Just because one isn't Asian doesn't mean one shouldn't be insulted by the corporate use of that slur or any other use of that slur. We should all care about bigotry even if it doesn't involve our own ethnic, racial, or personal identity. It's demeaning to all of us as human beings.

It's part of what being an American used to be about. 

@Greeneyedlady21.  It is not well known obviously.   I never heard of such a thing.  From what people have written here, from m6 viewpoint, it sounds like much ado about nothing.  There have been many other things said and done far more insulting.

I can't speak from the Asian viewpoint.

@Kachina624, either shame on you or please amend your post for clarification.  Your words sound like since this doesn't affect you it isn't important.

Wrong.  It is important.  Important not only to those of Asian descent but everyone.

@Marp.  I thought I made that clear when I spoke from my viewpoint, not from an Asian woman's. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe.  The faux pas was probably made by some poor underling of a clerk who had no clue about the possible insult or that the vendor was Asian.  Totally inadvertant error of something very obscure from fiction.  The quote, taken alone, sounds like a lovely thought.  Maybe AI did it.

No @Kachina624 not inadvertent because the grammar was poor.  Nobody would write that that did not know that "expression."  I don't recall QVC ever sending emails with grammatical errors in the subject line, and I get loads of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Apology email from QVC

[ Edited ]

It is QUITE possible that it was an AI generated communication that was not checked!! It seems I am blaming AI for everything today!!!😊

I feel awful for ANYONE that read it and was offended!❤❤🤗

~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

It refers to Women, Asians and the TSV. Anyone know what they are reffering to?

I can't repeat it, but it's in a pigeon style of English and stereotypes Asians.  I considered it offensive and I was shocked when Iread the two emails. It maybe somone will get fired.

An article was left out, right?  Should have been "Youll Love this bag A longtime".  i doubt it was deliberate.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe.  I didn't see the original,  but your statement convinces me the author didn't know what he/she was doing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Apology email from QVC

[ Edited ]

I don't believe that it wasn't deliberate. Why wasn't this phrase used to describe an Isaac Mizrahi or Women with Curves TSV? It was intentionally used to describe a TSV designed by an Asian woman. That is deliberate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe.  I didn't see the original,  but your statement convinces me the author didn't know what he/she was doing.

I can assure you they did.  But you go ahead and think what you like.

Trusted Contributor

It wasn't a grammatical error or anything else like that.

It's a line from a war related movie that happens in a scene that is all about humiliating women from the war torn area.  Whether or not anyone has heard of the movie or the song that samples those lines is irrelevant here.  Something doesn't have to offend or be understood by 100% of the population to be offensive.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Carmie.  Most people obviously didn't get the connect or know about the source.  I sure didn't and have yet to see anything I'd consider insulting.   Since you seem well informed,  perhaps you can advise why I should be insulted?

I have to disagree.  For QVC to issue an apology, more than handful of people had to complain.

I think more people understood the slur than not.  Even if Ami wasn't Asian, the comment on the original email was wrong.  

Just like the N word, there is no place for society for a corporation to use this type of language.

It was probably sent by a dumb airhead employee who heard this phrase before and had no idea it was controversial, but the employee would not have been a person on the bottom of the barrel.

It was someone who was trusted and paid to be the voice of QVC.  I doubt it was done to be hurtful, but it still doesn't make it right.

There is no reason for you to be insulted, but since you now know the phase is derogatory by reading the comments , you should understand that it was inappropriate and a apology was in order.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sounds like the only one due an apology was Amy, and she probably has more important things on her mind today.

Why that discussion was allowed to continue, in light of QVC's sensitivity to racial issues, is beyond me.

@Kachina624 

Agree 100% was surprising the discussion continued.