Honored Contributor

It refers to Women, Asians and the TSV. Anyone know what they are reffering to?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Today-s-Special-Value/Are-you-serious/m-p/8355975#M127295

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the only one due an apology was Amy, and she probably has more important things on her mind today.

Why that discussion was allowed to continue, in light of QVC's sensitivity to racial issues, is beyond me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   No, QVC owed their whole audience an apology.

When women are on the receiving end of sexual insults, it hurts us all.  

There is no room in our society for this disrespectable  language.

I am happy that many spoke up and called out this wrong and I am happy that QVC publically apologized.  It was the right thing to do.

Honored Contributor
On International Women's Day too

Apology owed to all
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

It refers to Women, Asians and the TSV. Anyone know what they are reffering to?

I can't repeat it, but it's in a pigeon style of English and stereotypes Asians.  I considered it offensive and I was shocked when Iread the two emails. It maybe somone will get fired.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie.  Most people obviously didn't get the connect or know about the source.  I sure didn't and have yet to see anything I'd consider insulting.   Since you seem well informed,  perhaps you can advise why I should be insulted?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

C'mon @Kachina624 

You know this place is all about opinions, @Carmie just stated hers.

You sounded a bit snarky here.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Carmie.  Most people obviously didn't get the connect or know about the source.  I sure didn't and have yet to see anything I'd consider insulting.   Since you seem well informed,  perhaps you can advise why I should be insulted?

To many Asian-American women, hearing the phrase “Me love you long time” can be completely de-humanizing and traumatic.Yet this hasn’t stopped the phrase from casually entering various areas of pop culture, school yards, and the music and fashion industries. It’s a weaponized phrase deployed to put down Asian diaspora women, to make us the joke. It's used to reduce Asian and Asian-American women to sex objects. Asian hate crimes have disproportionately been an Asian women’s issue. Sixty-one percent of reported incidents happened to Asian and Asian diaspora women, largely due to the hypersexualization of them. While this should have happened ages ago, now is the time to make sure the use of this phrase as a weapon to belittle and objectify Asian and Asian-American women stops.

While many think the phrase started in 1989 with a 2 Live Crew track in which female vocals ooze “Me so horny. Me love you long time,” the words were originally spoken by actress Papillon Soo Soo, who portrays a Vietnamese sex worker soliciting American GIs in the 1987 Stanley Kubrick film, Full Metal Jacket.

Unfortunately, we can’t ask the men who wrote the movie—Kubrick, Michael Herr, and Gustav Hasford (whose novel, The Short-Timers, became the movie), all of whom are dead—what their intentions were when they wrote that line of dialogue. From the reactions of the soldiers in the scene, it appears the Asian female character was being mocked.

Honored Contributor

It's a well known slur against Asian women, what other explanation could possibly be necessary?

Just because one isn't Asian doesn't mean one shouldn't be insulted by the corporate use of that slur or any other use of that slur. We should all care about bigotry even if it doesn't involve our own ethnic, racial, or personal identity. It's demeaning to all of us as human beings.

It's part of what being an American used to be about. 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"