Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone stuck in an elevator?

@lulu1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve never known a Walmart to be mutli-storied to have

an elevator for customer use. 

Sounds like this was a service elevator used by

the staff members only...to move shipments, etc.

I think you are right.  I've never seen an elevator in a one story store/building.

Moral of the story, do not take shortcuts through stores when on your daily walk.

I wasn't in it but in college our dorm elevator was stuck for several hours with a few girls in it.

@lulu1 

And I can’t think of a large store where the entrance/exits

for customer use are at multiple sides of the building.  

(exception...mall anchor stores), but definitely not a Walmart.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, here I go with a story that I long suppressed.  Many years ago I was stuck in an elevator of the 28-story administration building on the university campus.   

I was the lone occupant, all other students and faculty having exited.  The door closed and the car began is ascent at a fairly rapid rate ... not stopping at my floor, which was the 4th.   When it reached the top floor, it quickly descended again, this time faster.   

I'm pushing buttons like crazy but it didn't stop ... just kept going up ... this was like a bad nightmare.  It's early morning before 8 a.m.   I could barely reach the phone, and called my office number.   My boss had not yet arrived ... I told the clerk where I was and the gravity of the situation.  She hung up without saying anything ... poor thing was so shook up ... but she called University police and told them where I was.   

Meantime the car is continually going up and down, down and up.   About ten minutes or so later the phone rang.   It was the dean, my boss; very calm-like to tell me help was on the way; and how was I holding up?   Okay, I said, but hurry up.

When Maintenance finally stopped the car and opened the door between floors, they lifted me up and asked if I wanted to ride back down.   No thanks, I said ... think I'll walk.

I was four months pregnant at the time ...

Honored Contributor

@SoX  scary situation...you and the university handled it well.  They were probably grateful you didn't sue.

Honored Contributor

Your Walmart has a elevator????? faint.gif

========

Was stuck in an elevator w/my cat at the place where I use to live.  Fire department talked to me through the elevator emergency phone.  I was rescued in 5 minutes.  Told them I had to pee.  I didn't really. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also was stuck in a university elevator. I was a college student and took an elevator in the building where I had just gotten out of a class. There was another passenger in the car with me, an older guy. The elevator just stopped. We hit the emergency button and luckily there were people leaving the building at the end of the day. The gentleman also yelled out and a colleague of his went for help.

We weren't in there too long....about 15 minutes. Two things resulted from that experience....One, I didn't take another elevator for a few years afterwards and even now I'm liable to take stairs when i can as a rule. And, two, I will never get on an elevator if I have to pee! (I DID have to!)

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SoX  scary situation...you and the university handled it well.  They were probably grateful you didn't sue.

@phoenixbrd 

We weren't the sue-happy nation then as we are now.   Besides,  I wasn't hurt and the stress was manageable once I realized the car wasn't going to crash.

Respected Contributor

I have been stuck in an elevator serveral times. I am claustrophobic and it's not pleasant.  I often have nightmares involving out of control elevators. I wonder if that's an official phobia or something.  I have learned to always have my cell phone on me just in case.

Honored Contributor

@SoX   So true....professionally at times, we are unable to assist because of the trigger-finger sue happy nation we have become.  The good news, all ended well for you and baby unharmed.

@SoX wrote:

We weren't the sue-happy nation then as we are now.   Besides,  I wasn't hurt and the stress was manageable once I realized the car wasn't going to crash.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have been stuck in an elevator serveral times. I am claustrophobic and it's not pleasant.  I often have nightmares involving out of control elevators. I wonder if that's an official phobia or something.  I have learned to always have my cell phone on me just in case.

@Grouchomarx   probably agoraphobia comes close.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve never known a Walmart to be mutli-storied to have

an elevator for customer use. 

Sounds like this was a service elevator used by

the staff members only...to move shipments, etc.

My Walmart is two floors and has an elevator and escalator and an escalator just for your cart. I think it might still be the largest Walmart in the world and might be the only one like it.