Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Anyone here read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson?

Hi Ladies,

To all the readers here--you might understand my question--

I've been reading a lot of longer books it seems since January of this year. And next up on my night stand is Life after Life. Of course I've read reviews and I know I want to read it. But after coming off some Big Mama books, I really need to know what others thought about this one? Not sure I'm ready to dive into another big, dense book right now, but if the book ladies here think it's worthy, I will. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone here read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson?

I really tried liking this one, but it truly wasn't worth the effort. (Too many things "seem" to happen but don't really. . .it was just not satisfying.)

Valued Contributor

Insomniac--Thanks SO much for your reply and opinion. Love hearing your take on the book. This is the kinda input I need!Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I understand your dilemma about this book. I go back and forth with wanting to read it then not wanting to tackle a book of that size. The summary sounds like a story I would like, but then I've read some lukewarm reviews. It was my book club's selection a month or two ago, and at that time I just didn't feel like reading it! Then I felt bad returning it unread to the library. And I skipped that club's meeting also. Oh, well. There are so many good books out there on my to-read list -- and a lot under 300 pages! -- that at this point I doubt if I ever read it.

Respected Contributor

I loved the book! But I agree about reading what appeals to you. Just because it's on somebody's best list doesn't mean you are going to like it. I've learned that from this forum. However, I love the recommendations here because it makes me look up reviews on books I would never have thought about otherwise.

Valued Contributor

Troop-TU.Smiley Happy Your post makes me miss my now defunct book club like crazy!! Smiley Sad I feel the EXACT same way--there are so many books out there that I want to read, that it's hard to start reading a book that I'm not excited about. I bought Life after Life when it came out in paperback a few months ago. And there it sits on my night stand. :-0 Hi Smoky--Reading is such a personal thing. It never ceases to amaze me how I can love a book and a friend could hate it and vice versa. So glad you loved it--and I might just crack it open later tonight b/ c go your post. Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

Tried to read this as others of hers were enjoyable. I could not enjoy the style of her writing in this one.

Just finished Forever, Amber. I don't know why I postponed this delight. It caused quit a stir when first published. BANNED IN BOSTON!!! Very tame by today's standards but a wonderful historic romp thru 1600 England. Loved it and the research was impeccable.

Esteemed Contributor

It was an audible download for me so I was able to "read" while I did other things. If I'd had to sit to read it, I'm not sure I'd have finished it.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Thanks, bethdani and esmerelda. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I will look into the book you mentioned, beth. And Esmerelda, you know, I've never gotten into the audio book thing. I've not listened to one, ever. But maybe it's time to change that. ???

Esteemed Contributor

glmama...it's been wonderful for me! I love reading, but don't often find the time to sit down and do it. This...audio books...is a way to get the entertainment and still get things done. Outside, inside (cleaning, dinner, anything), driving...I wouldn't be able to enjoy nearly as many books otherwise.

If you have something to which you can download them, membership at audible.com is very reasonable, especially their introductory deal. I've been a member since 2008 and love it!

Keepin' it real.