Esteemed Contributor

Anyone from Hill Country Texas?

[ Edited ]

Do you experience tornadoes or flooding?  What's the weather like? 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone from HIll Country Texas?

I'm not from there but I lived there for a couple years. You can get flooding if you're near one of the rivers, which we were. I never saw a tornado. There have been bad fire issues though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I'm very familiar with the area.  Flooding in the area around rivers is very common.  They've had some doozies with loss of life.  Whenever you cross a little stream there will be gauges showing how deep the water is.

All of Texas is very hot and the hill country is humid, by my standards.  You should be able to access weather info online.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I've lived in Georgetown for 6 years (formerly from So. Cal) which is north of Austin in Hill Country.  We have two seasons - Summer and February.

It was a giant culture shock for me, but have grown to like Texas - especially the people!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone from Hill Country Texas?

We live on the edge of the hill country but our house is on a hill so we've never had a problem with flooding. Have never had a tornado either. The only weather-related calamity we've had is the freak hailstorm that hit our area last spring with softball-sized hailstones, causing damage to roofs and vehicles, punching holes in siding and breaking windows. The neighborhood looked like a war zone. I hope we never experience that again. Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Do you experience tornadoes or flooding?  What's the weather like? 

@Puzzle Piece

I don't live there but visit there often.....There's a nice friendly small town family atmosphere...my favorite city in the Hill Country is Fredricksburg--cute shops too.

Tornadoes are more common in North Texas which is quite a ways away from the Hill Country .......  If you live near a river or if the area gets excessive rainfall for several days some areas may get flooding....especially if you live near a river or there's a low lying road crossing.  The Texas Hill country is usually 5 degrees cooler than most areas of Texas.  There may be some humidity but a lot less in the Hill country than in South and East Texas.... Sometimes there are severe thunderstorms and sometimes that includes hail but usually pea size hail....we had a very unusual storm in April I think it was that was baseball sized hail that caused a lot of damage to homes and cars......but hail that big is not the norm.....

Texas goes through cycles of droughts and rainy periods....if its dry and windy there are fire bans to help prevent wild fires-- example is below.....

http://weather.blog.statesman.com/2016/02/02/wildfire-worries-in-the-hill-country-as-sunshine-above-...

Kachina is from New Mexico and hates Texas so take what she says with a grain of salt---East Texas and Houston are the real humid areas of the State. It's also humid where I live in San Antonio but not as bad as Houston.   The State is big and as my aunt used to say...you may be wearing a coat in Dallas but folks are swimming in Brownsville......I won't lie to you IT'S HOT HERE   May is barely tolerable average around 92.....the real HOT/HUMID months are June, July, August, September.......the rest of the time the weather is pretty good and it doesn't get too cold...coldest months are end of December and January.   Sometimes the winters are even very mild.....The winters in th Hill Country will also be slightly cooler .....  There could also be extremes in weather too---a real hot summer or cold winter with ice! Once in a while the Hill Country may even see a snow flurry (but its rare and will melt quickly)!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

We passed through Kerrville on our travels and stopped many times.  Gathered information from the Chamber of Commerce and looked at property in the area.

Really wanted to move there, but circumstances prevented it.  Just loved Banderas, Fredericksburg, the Guadalupe River....all of it!

Friendly area and the weather was similar to San Jose, California from what we could tell by the weather literature.

Lucky are the friendly folks in Texas and especially Hill Country!

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt@Waterwoman Thanks posters.  Spurt, that's the info I wanted to know.  I may have opportunity to buy a house in the area. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

It's hilly, the low creek crossings can flood on a drop of a hat. Most crossings are gauged though - like they always say "turn around, don't drown" - that is like drilled into your here it seems. I live west of Austin and have never have had any bad experiences. As far as tornadoes - never have encountered any in this area. Good luck with your move, it is beautiful country - we love it here. Welcome to Texas. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Austin gets a lot of flooding. It pays to know where the low water crossings are and how to avoid them all at any given time. If your only way home involves a low water crossing, you'll be in trouble at some point and either have so stay with a friend or at a hotel or just move to avoid all that.

Austin doesn't get many tornadoes, but we get a lot of watches and warnings. I've lived here 20 years and have never seen an actual tornado, but friends not far from me had to go hide in the bathtub one night after warnings and horrible winds. Even though I've never had a tornado come near me, I've seen many downed trees and powerlines after storms and tornado warnings.

We do get hail storms that can do a lot of damage, especially to cars.

This part of Texas doesn't get a lot of snow, but we get ice and occasional snow. We get sleet more often than snow. Because it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the city doesn't invest in snow plows (that would be foolish) and people don't have snow chains or snow tires. That means if we DO get inclement weather with ice, the city basically shuts down, sometimes for several days. The city officials ask all non-essential personnel to work from home, if possible, and stay off the roads, which are hazardous because no one has chains or knows how to drive on ice.

It's hot here most of the time. It's going to be 99 here today. Yesterday was in the low 90s, but felt like 104 out because of the heat index. We've had a lot of rain this summer, so it's been very humid. It does not get cool in the overnight hours, especially with the humidity. We have lows of 7 right now, but it's only that low between maybe 3 and 7am. My apartment feels stuffy because my windows have only been open once between March and now.