Frequent Contributor

Anyone else like movies their families don't?

I like light-hearted movies, romantic comedies, chick flicks. I don't like for a movie to take me to a dark place, I want to laugh or feel good watching it Everyone else in my family is into hardcore drama with violence & anger. The only reason Friday night movie night was never an issue was because I sat through whatever everyone else wanted to watch. Gah!! I'm so done with that! Anyone else have a hard time watching movies with family like that?
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else like movies their families don't?

DH and I often watch different things on TV. Not an issue. Don't have to do everything together. When we go out to a movie we alternate picking films but there usually isn't much that either one of us wants to see you so we don't go very often.
Respected Contributor

I'm with you - I don't like anything overly violent.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I watch lots of tv shows together and some shows we watch separate. As far as movies, my husband will go to chick flicks and I will go to movies he wants to see. (We are both big movie buffs). And I can tell you that 99.9% of the time no matter which movie we go to, we both end up liking it no matter which one of us wanted to see it more. (Now movies on like the Hallmark channel those he doesn't watch). But that's ok, we cant all like the same things 100% of the time.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I'll watch shows like The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. DH, no way.
Trusted Contributor

We rarely watch together. My husband like sci fi and Walking Dead type of stuff. I like Mad Men and Downton Abbey and things like that. The twain doesn't meet very often. We can occasionally see a movie together-Saving Mr. Banks was one and I went along with the Star Trek movies. He will watch Twilight Zone with me which is one of my favorites. My daughter who's 15 rarely watches tv.

Honored Contributor

I have a very short attention span when it comes to movies, and generally do not watch them. I don't waste my money going to the movies, because I cannot take the loudness in the theater and have also been known to get so bored, I go sit in the car until it's over. My family and I do not share the same tastes in our viewing choices, which is why everyone has their own television, and we are in our own spaces, watching what we want to watch. The only show my husband and I ever watched together, was Breaking Bad. He and my daughters go for action, adventure and drama. I like comedy, and shows that teach me something or make me feel good. I also love to look at magazines in a house that is totally quiet and peaceful.
Frequent Contributor

The secret to a happy marriage...separate TV's!

Respected Contributor

My DH and sons love movies like Christmas Vacation and Caddyshack. I prefer movies about mysteries or international intrigue or something that keeps you guessing until the end.

-Kalli

Respected Contributor

On 12/28/2014 anon said:

The secret to a happy marriage...separate TV's!

Like! Smiley Wink

-Kalli