Respected Contributor

When someone doesn't want the gift you gave them

I know I am irrational!

I purchased a Keurig coffee maker for my 87 year old father for Christmas. He only drinks a couple cups a day, and I thought he would love it freshly brewed.

NOPE - and he doesn't want to pay for the K-Cups either. He is going to give it back to me.

My dad just keeps getting more frustrating for all of us. He was my hero all my life, and he's become a person I don't know sometimes.

I know it's irrational to feel hurt he doesn't want it, but I DO!

Anyone has have experience with this?

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

Re: When someone doesn't want the gift you gave them

I don't feel hurt. It's disappointing, but I'd rather have the person love what I've given them and use it. It bothers me when someone won't return something when they don't like it
Respected Contributor

Yes! I tried with my grandparents to buy them things I thought they might enjoy. It never worked. I bought my grandfather a power washer because I thought it would make it easier to clean up when he did outside work. Nope. He called me and said it was too complicated. He boxed it up and returned it. I think after a certain age, it gets harder for some people to adapt to new things. They like using things they are familiar with. Don't take it too much to heart. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

First, my sister-in-law just couldn't wait to tell me he doesn't want it. That's the way she is.

I gave it a lot of thought, and knew it was a possibility that he wouldn't want it. My husband and daughter encouraged me to get it.

Last night, I made a point of setting it up, trying it, and leaving everything in place for him to use it.

Then he starts making fun of it all and not even listening. I just don't know how to take this new and not improved version of him!

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Frequent Contributor

Back in the mid nineties, I gave my parents a cordless phone. They had trouble getting around and wanted the phone next to them all the time. They had a corded phone and the cord was always stretched every which way so the phone could be located next to where they were sitting. The stretched cord caused lots of trips and accidents.

So a cordless phone seemed the perfect gift. They could have it next to them all the time without a cord. They had it for ONE day and unplugged it and gave it back to us. They said they could not figure out if they should push the talk button to answer or not or how to get a dial tone to make a call. The phones were so simple back then and we tried and tried to get them to use it. But, no way. They wanted to keep their corded phone and that was that.....

Honored Contributor

I agree that after a certain age many people don't like to learn something new.
Esteemed Contributor

My mother has never liked anything I have ever given her. Eventually I stopped buying anything.

Respected Contributor

Yup. My late maternal grandfather was like that. Every year, my Mom and her sisters would chip in and buy him a great gift, only to be told: "Take it back and get me ten lottery tickets" or "Take it back and get me a carton of cigarettes!" One of my aunts would take it personally, and sometimes a little argument would ensue. He was a character.

I know you're trying to do a nice thing, and it hurts when it's not appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

When people get older they get picky. My dad was a fun loving positive happy guy. But when he got older and couldn't do what he used to, he started to get bothered by little things. I know its a little irritating but just know hes doing the best he can and enjoy your time with him. (My dad passed away 3 yrs ago, I wish he was here so I could hear him be picky). Good luck.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: Yes! I tried with my grandparents to buy them things I thought they might enjoy. It never worked. I bought my grandfather a power washer because I thought it would make it easier to clean up when he did outside work. Nope. He called me and said it was too complicated. He boxed it up and returned it. I think after a certain age, it gets harder for some people to adapt to new things. They like using things they are familiar with. Don't take it too much to heart. Smiley Happy

^This.