Esteemed Contributor

Anyone decide not to return to work?

I have a teacher friend who decided to retire rather than return to the classroom because of the virus.  She is in good health but her husband has diabetes and COPD and she is concerned about the compromising position of her husband.

My hospice nurse neighbor decided to take an early retirement.  She's in her early 60s.

Another friend who is retired was working in retail part time just to get out of the house, and due to her age decided it was not worth returning.

A friend's college age daughter also decided to leave her restaurant job for fear of a possible infection to her parents.

All these people are in decent financial positions where they do not need to return to work.  Others who aren't as fortunate have no choice.

We never seem to hear about those who are in fear of returning to their jobs.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone decide not to return to work?

I am a retired teacher who has been subbing for the last 4 years.  I have decided not to continue subbing, at least for the foreseeable future.

Honored Contributor

My cousin and his wife a both teachers and they retired at the end of the school year.  It was painful for them, they love teaching and had planned to work until they were 70 but he has a pulmonary condition and she has hypertension so they thought it prudent to retire.

Another friend is an RN, his wife is an emergency room physician.  They both worked with Covid 19 patients last year.  He worked in an ICU and says it broke him emotionally.  He retired in June.  His wife contracted Covid 19 last winter but recovered nicely.  She's considering retiring, depending on what happens this winter.

And then's there is my daughters bff, she has two school age children and the school system is doing distance learning until after Christmas break.  She quit her job to stay home with her children and her sister's children will come to her house eeryday so she can monitor and help them with their distance learning.  

Honored Contributor

I know someone who asked to continue to work from home instead of returning to the office.  Her request was honored; i'm not sure what she might have done if it had been refused.  I suspect she would have retired.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
n@Biftu wrote:

I have a teacher friend who decided~Life is short. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day on earth. You may die tomorrow.~ to retire rather than return to the classroom because of the virus.  She is in good health but her husband has diabetes and COPD and she is concerned about the compromising position of her husband.

My hospice nurse neighbor decided to take an early retirement.  She's in her early 60s.

Another friend who is retired was working in retail part time just to get out of the house, and due to her age decided it was not worth returning.

A friend's college age daughter also decided to leave her restaurant job for fear of a possible infection to her parents.

All these people are in decent financial positions where they do not need to return to work.  Others who aren't as fortunate have no choice.

We never seem to hear about those who are in fear of returning to their jobs.

Good for them! 👍. Good time to retire during this  pandemic.

429040C5-2CD4-43C4-BE16-CB3CCB938BE9.gif

~Life is short. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day on earth. You could die tomorrow.~

Respected Contributor

I chose to return to my healthcare position on a PRN(as needed) basis as DH is high risk and I’m over 60. While I think it was the right decision, I’m starting to be concerned about getting enough work to pay for healthcare and a few expenses. 

Honored Contributor

yeah - 15yrs ago

Honored Contributor

I know 2 first responders a RN & Physican Assistant.  RN quit & is now a private duty nurse.

PA now works for a Concierge firm doing house calls.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Biftu I absolutely love what I do.  I have never been a home body.

Where I work, we are SO safe.  The customers come in wearing masks, and there's a sign on the door that says masks are required.

Each cash wrap, and credit card machine is wiped down after each and every customer.  You don't get that at the grocery store.  In addition, only every other fitting room is open, and they're sprayed and wiped down before the next person can enter according to corporate.

Honored Contributor

My hubs worked remotely for several months, per the company's protocol.  Our area has continued to have declining new cases and hospitalizations, so when it was allowed, he seized the chance to go back and work in the office.

He and I are both high risk.  The office is open and laid out in cubicles, much like your standard "Dilbert" scenario.  At work he masks, socially distances, scrubs like crazy (being an engineer, he was always pretty meticulous, ha), and avoids touching his face.

Luckily, the company is doing well, as are the returned employees, and working diligently to regain ground lost.