Honored Contributor

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - This Stinks!

Even though I do not live in Cleveland, I do live in the midwest and have been a member of the RRHF for many years. I try to get there whenever I go to Cleveland (where I do have relatives and where I go on business matters occasionally). I like the place so I've wanted to support it since my first visit there.

Today I had to speak to the membership dept about something and while on the phone it occurred to me to ask whether they had any plans to extend memberships since the museum (recently reopened) was closed for the pandemic. The response I got was that they will extend members' membership for one month "but you have to call in and ask." Well, that stinks! So I take to mean whoever doesn't think to call in and ask won't get their membership extended! And worse, a lot of staff is working from home and it took me several times over 3 days playing phone tag for me to even reach someone in membership to talk to with my original issue. I think they should just automatically extend all 2020 memberships for a month (and the museum was closed for more than that time so a month doesn't even make up for all the time closed).
Respected Contributor

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - This Stinks!

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, those institutions that support the arts and culture have been severely impacted by the virus.  The loss of visitors means the loss of millions of dollars to continue their upkeep and staff positions.

I had ballet tickets and I was not able to attend the performance as the entire city closed down here in Philly.

It doesn't "stink" that culture and arts companies don't just automatically extend the membership across the board. 

Many folks I know consider the money "lost" as a kind donation to help keep the organization running.  If I am am still financially well, I should help support those who are struggling.

Calling in means they know who the people are who watching every penny, and should not expect generosity from them.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper. I find your last paragraph offensive, and also disagree with your generalization. It would show they appreciate their members who have supported them for one thing.

It doesn't cost them anything to extend all 2020 memberships by a month, esp since many may not renew for 2021 if they've had a tough year financially . People who get in during that extra month may still spend money there since the gift shop has the best gifts ever for music lovers.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Even though I do not live in Cleveland, I do live in the midwest and have been a member of the RRHF for many years. I try to get there whenever I go to Cleveland (where I do have relatives and where I go on business matters occasionally). I like the place so I've wanted to support it since my first visit there.

Today I had to speak to the membership dept about something and while on the phone it occurred to me to ask whether they had any plans to extend memberships since the museum (recently reopened) was closed for the pandemic. The response I got was that they will extend members' membership for one month "but you have to call in and ask." Well, that stinks! So I take to mean whoever doesn't think to call in and ask won't get their membership extended! And worse, a lot of staff is working from home and it took me several times over 3 days playing phone tag for me to even reach someone in membership to talk to with my original issue. I think they should just automatically extend all 2020 memberships for a month (and the museum was closed for more than that time so a month doesn't even make up for all the time closed).

@Pearlee You have a right to be peeved. But none of that will make any difference if the place goes under. They probably need people to pay to renew their memberships as soon as possible. They may not be able to afford to extend anything.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@porcelain. I think they should extend it to all or none. I'd be OK with them not extending it at all.
But I don't think what they are doing is fair to everyone who paid for a membership.
Super Contributor

San Diego Zoo automatically hasmextended the Membership’s,by three months, the amount of time that theynwere shut down.  The thousands of animals still,had to fed, and critical personnel had to care for them, including veterinary care.  San Diego Zoo is a non profit, entirely dependent donations, memberships, entry fees, etc.  I think they decided that extending good will to their supporters was a more valuable decision in the long run than to insult loyal supporters.

Honored Contributor

Thank you TwoAces.
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Not on the same level but 20 of us paid $135.00 each for a month's water aerobics - then we were all evacuated.

Thinking classes would now restart next week - as they should go through October - got text saying closing pool now until next March so will keep monies paid as credit for next year!

I agree with your posts if these organizations want support they should look after their members as they need you.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich. Gosh that's not fair. Some people won't be able to go to those classes next year. You all should get refunds.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
I have supported the RRHF for years and some years haven't gone at all due to my location. I sure don't appreciate the notion of being less than generous toward the place.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee ... My question to you is this...how will the members know they have to call to renew their membership?  Have they always automatically renewed or did the members have to call?  If they always had to call, no problem.  Now if they have to call, I see a big problem.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam