Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Have A Touch Lamp That...........

comes on or off on its own.  Last night I was watching TV in the dark and all of a sudden the touch lamp across the room comes on.

I thought the cat was on the table and bumped it.  Nope, she was upstairs with DD.

Well, okay then. I glanced around and chuckled to myself "this isn't creepy at all." I went into the bathroom intending to turn it off when I came out. It went out while I was brushing my teeth.

I assume it is a malfunction as it has never done it before.  I unplugged it and won't use it again.

Has anyone else had a wonky touch lamp?  I've had it for years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have A Touch Lamp That...........

I once had a touch lamp.  I couldn't touch it to dust the darn thing!

Respected Contributor

Ours go off and on when one of our Silky Terriers jump off the couch. The little clicking of their nails on hardwood floor was setting it off/on.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Yes we have a swing arm three-way wall sconce above the  two master suites in our mountain place: small one on first floor and larger room on second floor.

We can find one of them on occasionally: most likely due to some minor vibration.  Nothing spooky at all.

Every once in a while, I think that maybe someone I was really close to and has passed away is sending me a reminder that she is watching over me still.  Comforting thought !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Spirits maybe?  lol  Probably just a malfunction as you say.  And yes, those things are hard to dust.  Mine keep coming on or off when I do it.  However I love touch lamps, especially the one I have next to my recliner.  Just reach over and touch it off when I want to catnap in my recliner.

Respected Contributor

I have two swing arm lamps (touch)  that do that all on their own for no reason.  It happens, mostly, in the evenings.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have one that does that. Any kind of warmth near it will make it turn on. But I love the convenience of touch lamps.

Regular Contributor

Loved ones on the other side want to let us know they are close. They may blink lights in your house, streetlights as you walk down the street, etc. Didn't you ever have a loved one on your mind and suddenly you'll hear a song that they loved? Stay present and just observe. I've been going through a number sequence for a few weeks. I'll see 11 11. It can be as simple as the time on a microwave or a license plate number, or even the amount of my purchase at the supermarket. You may chuckle and think it's not real, but it is. Take comfort from it.

Respected Contributor

Hi @CrazyKittyLvr2 

It's likely nothing for concern, BUT I love all the responses that hint at spirits and them dropping in to let you know they are still with you.

It's nice to believe in guardian angels - I do and if that was my lamp - I'd chalk it up to my beloved grandmothers letting me know that they are STILL my light!

Esteemed Contributor

The table the lamp sits on is against the wall by the stairs.  People run up the steps, the cats have done wild kitty runs, the cat has jumped on the table, it has never turned on. Even my sister's young grandkids running by it never caused it to do its own thing.

Since I don't believe in ghosts and goblins a wire must be going.

In the interest of safety I am giving it the old heave ho.