Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Have A Touch Lamp That...........

Was there possible a storm in your area when this ocurred @CrazyKittyLvr2?

My mom had a touch lamp and it often came on during storms. She would come

up stairs and say, oh that darn lamp is on again. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Small bumps on the counter or other vibrations in the house have turned mine on.  

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees   Nope, no storms.

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS   I was joking about the creepy comment.  I wasn't afraid of anything other than the wiring/fire factor.

Now, had my sister been here she would have taken it as a sign.  The lamp sits on the console table along with my DH's urn.  And no, I don't believe in that sort of stuff.  Never have, never will.

Valued Contributor

My mother has one and it does go on without someone touching it.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

comes on or off on its own.  Last night I was watching TV in the dark and all of a sudden the touch lamp across the room comes on.

I thought the cat was on the table and bumped it.  Nope, she was upstairs with DD.

Well, okay then. I glanced around and chuckled to myself "this isn't creepy at all." I went into the bathroom intending to turn it off when I came out. It went out while I was brushing my teeth.

I assume it is a malfunction as it has never done it before.  I unplugged it and won't use it again.

Has anyone else had a wonky touch lamp?  I've had it for years.

Yes.  So the touch lamp on my nightstand was plugged directly into the top socket of the wall outlet right behind the nightstand.  It's an all-metal lamp and the shade is touching the wall.  The lamp would come on/go off occasionally, so I figured it was something electrical (maybe behind the wall?).

I tried moving it a little bit away from the wall, but that didn't work.

I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it into the power strip that was plugged into the bottom socket of that same wall outlet.  I moved it back to touching the wall.  It hasn't happened since and that's been about 6 years.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Not sure about a lamp but my flameless lumina candles were coming on at all wierd hours -- I thought the timers were broken or something🤔

The smart posters here told me how our TV remote could do it! Yup, that's what it was ...I was flicking channels and yup certain candles came on.  

Could this be the same thing?  I don't know because I don't have any lamps like this.