Honored Contributor

Re: Any use for old pillows?

@Witchy Woman  Yes didnt think about that during this time!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

If you lived closer, I could give them to you Cat Happy

Not many hurricanes in Maryland, but I can see where something like that might help.

Frequent Contributor

I too gave my old pillows to an animal shelter. I washed and dried them first. Did so for the volunteers handling them and also because these poor little guys deserve nice things just like my animals.

Call around, though, as some said no. All my old towels, sheets, etc I try to give to shelters. 

This was before the pandemic. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@MoonieBaby  and others...

None of my regular rescues want them. 

They said dogs will tear them apart and they didn't want them for the cats.

You are so right.   Animal shelters, Veterinary Hospitals and Rescues need something that can be laundered.  Pillows will absorb urine and cannot be used again.   When you move something from animal to animal it needs to be thoroughly sanitized to prevent the possible spread of disease.   Also as you stated, dogs will tear pillows apart.

If anyone intends to donate any items to a veterinary hospital or shelter please call first and ask if they want them.  When I worked in the  veterinary field people would show up with bags of towels and old sheets and since we didn't use them or need them we would have to dispose of them ourselves.     

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@MoonieBaby  and others...

None of my regular rescues want them. 

They said dogs will tear them apart and they didn't want them for the cats.

Wow that's surprising.  My dog and cat use our old pillows which are rather large.  They love them and are usually lounging on them.  

Valued Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Never seen pillows on lists of items shelters need. Towels and blankets, but never pillows. They're hard to sanitize.

Ours are the the type that can be laundered...I guess there are some that cannot be. 

Respected Contributor

Hi @Witchy Woman 

DANG!

I've brought them into local places in Voorhees, NJ - and to Morris Animal Refuge in Philly - BUT come to think of it - your shelters are right!

Maybe my donations in the past have been used for sick animals with little mobility or strength - thus useful if only for a brief time.

Thanks for the P.S.A.  

Honored Contributor

Use a pillow cover or pillowcase, and store one or two in the trunk of my car.  Just in case.

I'm the one who carries all kinds of (rotated) non- perishable food items in my car.   Just in case.

I always have a mini cooler with one or two frozen water bottles in my car.   

One never knows............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If they are washable, most animal shelters will take them, if they are feather or filled with other non-washable fill like latex foam, they don’t want them.