Respected Contributor

Re: Any retired RNs out there?

When we moved from the North to the South, I got my license in Fl., but found I was enjoying retirement even though I was in my fifties.  So I never went back to work.  I did put my license from the North in an inactive state until the renewal date came due and then let it lapse.

Honored Contributor

You know the other thought that crossed my mind is, you'll always be a nurse.  Retirement doesn't mean you forget all that you know and all the experience you have.  I do agree that, you may not like retirement.  Sometimes that happens to people. No one I know of, but whatever renewing your license entitles you to do, I'd renew it at least once and see if you need to go further. l think once a nurse, always a nurse, no matter what.

Respected Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

Did you let your license lapse after retirement or did you keep it inactive? I quit working two years ago at the age of 62 after over 40 years in the operating room. I loved my job until the last 5 years. New management caused many good employees to leave. I stayed as long as I could. I put patientl’s needs first and my boss did not.

It will cost $200 to renew my license and keep it inactive for 2 more years.  I worked so hard for my license and being an RN had been part of my identity since 1974. I know there is no reason I would ever “need” to work and I doubt that I would ever “want” a job again.  Has anyone else had this struggle? 

I am really enjoying retirement and am looking forward to my husband’s retirement in a few months.  

I'm a retired PT and let my license go inactive last year.  It was one of the hardest things I've done.  But, I can't work anymore and didn't want to do all of the continuing ed required to keep it active. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What happens if your license goes inactive?  Is there a way to make it active again?  Would you have to go back through testing? 

What if you want to teach in nursing school?  Would you need an active license?

I'm just wondering and being nosey.  Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@Flika13 I am not retired (sure wish I could) but I will have to work until 66 to collect my full Social Security. I think u should renew one more time and I am not sure why I am saying it. Just a suggestion I guess. I have been a nurse for 37 years and boy I am tired. My legs and back complain and I I feel a constant pressure to keep up with the younger. RN's  especially in this computer driven age. I don't feel management respects older nurses and sees them more as a liability. I truly miss my younger days when I could spend more time at the bedside with pt's and families instead of in front of a computer screen.  I hope all of u retired RN ' s have a wonderful retirement because I know u have earned it!!

Great post and so true! As a retired R.N. after 40 years, management does not respect the wisdom and experience of the older nurse. I loved being a bedside nurse and comforting the patient, and that is lacking in the brand new young nurses coming in to the profession. All about technical computers now and the lack of touch so many patients need and want.

bamasec

Honored Contributor

@Flika13,  My best friend is an RN and she was working part time at a nursing home but has not for over a year.  I never asked her is she renewed her license.  Unless you think you might want to care for someone part-time why renew?  Say you did not renew and 2 o 3 years later you wanted to get your license -- could you?  Enjoy your retirement and bless you for caring for people in your career.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I recently turned 55 and  have worked as an RN for 31 years. Due to chronic medical issues I am looking at early retirement, something I did not want to have to do. But I plan on keeping my license active for  the time being. Who knows, maybe there will be a new medication or surgery sometime that will improve my situation. I do not ever see myself going back to 12 hour shifts in a hospital however. I understand what you mean about working long and hard for the license. I am going to keep up my ceus for the time being.  One day you may want something like a part time or prn basis, flexible hours. Good luck and God bless all the nurses out there !

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What happens if your license goes inactive?  Is there a way to make it active again?  Would you have to go back through testing? 

@Lipstickdiva, an inactive nurse needs to complete CEUs needed for your particular state to renew your license, then submit your completion certificate with an application (it does cost) to your state board of nursing..

I would think you would need to be licensed to teach in any nursing program.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva, there is no one solid answer to that since it depends on each individual state.  Every state has their own board of nursing with varying requirements for licensure, some require a certain number of continuing education units per year, others don't, etc.  Fees for licensure are different in every state as well.  

Some states actually have a retired status in which the individual does not pay and if they want to activate their license later, they pay to meet the requirements for that state (meet continuing education requirements, etc).  Other states might require a special reinstatement fee, a certain number of hours of refresher courses at your own expense, meeting continuing education requirements for licensure, have a criminal background check completed, and so forth.  A few states also require the individual  submit fingerprints along with the background check. 

So in some states it can cost a considerable amount of money and time to reactivate a license after letting it lapse.  It just depends on that particular state.

Yes, all nurses teaching in any type of nursing school must maintain an active, unencumbered nursing license in order to teach.  Unencumbered means you can't be on probation or have any other action pending on your license.  

All boards of nursing in the US and its territories are very rigorous in licensure.  If that state requires 30 contact hours of continuing education every year in order to maintain licensure, those must be completed or action is taken on your license. 

Hope that helps answer your questions and maybe explains why it is not an easy decision about what to do with a nursing license when a nurse retires.  Not to mention in some states it can be very expensive if you change your mind and want to reactivate your license. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I retired 4 years ago.  I loved nursing and practiced 50 years.  My license expired the next month and I never renewed it in NJ or NY.  I knew I was done and never looked back.  It's a piece of paper and the rewards of my career are internal.   I enjoy retirement.