Regular Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@dennylilly   I'm sorry you're not feeling well, but you should really be speaking with your doctor before self-medicating with antacids on top of prevacid.  You don't say if you're also taking anti-anxiety medication, but if you are, that's all the more reason to be concerned about possible drug interactions, which could create a whole host of new problems.

Thanks for that advice.  I never thought of that.  I changed to a differnt OC drug since I didn't think the previcid was working anymore since I had a couple experiences of heartburn recently. I mentioned this to my dr when seeing her for my problem and she did not have any concern.  I just figured since they are both over the counter it wouldn't matter.  I will let her know when I get home from my trip.

I am not currently on any anti anxiety drug but was given one with my "migraine coctail" I received at the ER last week when I went in for my CAT scan

Contributor

There's a span of 8 minutes between your original post and your second post and you were alive with no major trauma. For the rest of the day, try to live in the moment. When one moment passes and everything has been fine, relax and continue that throughout your day.

Also, deep breathing helps tremendously. Sit, close your eyes and -

Breathe in quietly through your nose for 4 seconds

Hold your breath for a count of 7 seconds

Exhale forcefuly through your mouth while pursing your lips making a whoosh sound

for 8 seconds

Repeat the cycle for up to 4 times.

Do some stretches and take a walk. Get your 20 minutes of vitamin D.

YouTube is a great resource to view deep breathing, meditation, etc

If all fails, perhaps therapy and/or medication is necessary. Good luck.. 

Contributor

Oh, and have your thyroid tested. You may have hypo/hyperthyroidism, which is treated with a tiny daily pill.

Regular Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this anxiety. First, if you've had heart tests, EKG, echocardigram, bloodwork, etc., and the doctor is sure it's not your heart, ask for a CT scan to see if there's anything else visible, like a hiatal hernia, that might be causing the feelings. Or endoscopy. Gastritis can cause similar symptoms. If that's all clear, you might begin to think about an IBS symptom that is easied by switching to a low FODMAP diet. Monash University in Australia is the world leader in low FODMAPS study.

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/starting-the-low-fodmap-diet/

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-treatments/l/low-fodmap-diet.html

I've had very similar symptoms to yours. I had a paraesphogeal hiatal hernia, gastritis, and so much discomfort in my chest and abdomen caused by fermenting food causing gas pressure pushing on my diaphram. I also have a headache that's tied to what's going on in my stomach, although my doctor still can't believe the headache is stomach related. I know better. I went through all the testing, endoscopy, etc. Still having symptoms. I didn't originally believe the low FODMAP diet applied to me because I didn't have IBS with diarrhea, so I resisted the diet. Finally, I became so uncomfortable I was willing to try anything. With the week I was feeling better. 6 weeks later I'm still feeling better, not completely symptom free, but much better.

Anxiety is part of the problem because when you are hurting, you are anxious and concerned. The more you can know about what is going on, the easier it is to deal with the anxiety. I do a lot of meditation and mindfulness practices that have helped including progressive muscle relaxation. YouTube has a lot of videos on PMR and meditation. Here are two I like and use often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86HUcX8ZtAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86HUcX8ZtAkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_iqfGjL78

I hope you are feeling better soon. 

Thank you.  I  had a CAT scan last week.  I also am being treated for GERD and have been on Previcid for years.  My Dr. gave me a prescrption for it.  I had  strange feeling heartburn years ago and went to ER thinking it was a heart attack.  So now I'm wondering if this strange feeling is heartburn again.  I am really not too worried about it anymore.  Granted I wish I felt normal but I am trying to calm my thoughts and my breathing when these feelings happen.  I will check out the videos and I thank you for sharing them.

Regular Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

@dennylilly  You might want to try some simethicone, like Phazyme or Gas-X. If you got some relief, you might have a better idea if it is gas causing chest pressure. Gas in the stomach, small and large intestines can cause so much bloating, tightness and pressure on the diaphragm right in the heart area that feels so uncomfortable. My gastro doctor started me on Phazyme, which does help. 

Your issue may be completely different from mine. I know I ended up in the ER twice thinking I was having a heart attack, and I'm a pretty tough cookie, and found out it was stomach issues, not heart. It was that uncomfortable.

I went to the ER before too only to find out it was heartburn.  I have gotten some Tums and tried them when this feeling comes but am not decided if they help or not.  I think sometimes eating helps. Not sure at all, but for the most part I am not fearing a heart attack anymore so I stay a little calmer in my thoughts.  

Thanks for your help.

Trusted Contributor
@dennylilly
You sound like such a sweet person. And your husband sounds like a good guy. I'm blessed to have a great husband too. Enjoy the second part of your vacation!😊
Regular Contributor

@Calm444 wrote:

There's a span of 8 minutes between your original post and your second post and you were alive with no major trauma. For the rest of the day, try to live in the moment. When one moment passes and everything has been fine, relax and continue that throughout your day.

Also, deep breathing helps tremendously. Sit, close your eyes and -

Breathe in quietly through your nose for 4 seconds

Hold your breath for a count of 7 seconds

Exhale forcefuly through your mouth while pursing your lips making a whoosh sound

for 8 seconds

Repeat the cycle for up to 4 times.

Do some stretches and take a walk. Get your 20 minutes of vitamin D.

YouTube is a great resource to view deep breathing, meditation, etc

If all fails, perhaps therapy and/or medication is necessary. Good luck.. 

Thank you. I am posting alot right now because we are at the airport early and I am sitting here waiting for my flight.  I am not being as focused on this the rest of my day.   Thanks for the deep breathing.  I am trying to do that and now I know how!

Regular Contributor

@Calm444 wrote:

Oh, and have your thyroid tested. You may have hypo/hyperthyroidism, which is treated with a tiny daily pill.

The bloodwork my Dr gave me the day before I left on my trip did include thyroid testing.  That was the only test result that hadn't come back yet before i left.  I guess I will get that result when I get home.

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

@dennylillyYou've got a number of medical issues.  You want to hear other peoples' stories?  You sound like you're geting medical care, but still have questions and maybe continuing problems.  I'll say it again.  And I'll put it in all caps and bold type:

YOU'VE GOT TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS.  YOU SHOULDN'T BE TAKING OVER-THE-COUNTER STUFF UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON.  THIS AIN'T THE PLACE TO GET THE INFORMATION YOU NEED.  THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

I've dealt with anxiety issues most of my life.  It's cyclical, sometimes barely there and sometimes a huge challenge.  It's been rather challenging lately.  I was feeling similar symptoms to yours and went for an EKG and bloodwork.  Everything is fine, which leads me to believe it's the anxiety. I stopped drinking any kind of caffeine and except for an occasional treat when I'm dining with company I don't eat anything sugary.  I had been getting chest pains, tightening and palpitations that went on for hours and days.  Those symptoms are gone since I've quit the caffeine and sugar.  I never drank a lot of caffeinated beverages, but evidently it affects me very strongly.  If you take away one thing from this thread, please download or pick up a copy of this book.  It is excellent.  Read all of it, don't stop after a chapter or two when you think you have the gist of it... it's important to read it all.  I found it very enlightening and helpful and I have ready countless books on this topic.

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 9.33.05 AM.png

~ house cat ~