Super Contributor

The school where I work is cutting back due to low enrollment. Staff and faculty will find out which of us will be let go. This will all take place sometime in March... I know I should not be looking at the bad side right now but my body is in total nerves.... Need to calm down and take a breath....Being single and owning a home which I could lose is my main concern... Love all you on this post.... Prayers for all that need their jobs...

Honored Contributor

But for the grace of G-d go I, in this economy we never know when things could change drastically. Who knows what road education will be going down in the future, my husband is retiring from teaching this year and he says he would not want to be a young teacher today. Administrators are doing everything they can to keep their jobs and that means requiring teachers to do more with much less.

Trusted Contributor

(((WW)), as another single homeowner working full time and still in classes, I relate to the constant financial stress you are under--even before this news of necessary cut backs in faculty and staff. I'll be praying that if you must lose this position, another--even better one--will be available to you, and you will not lose your home. Peace be with you.

Respected Contributor

(((WW))) to you during these next few months. Waiting to hear about employment changes are so hard and draining. Take care of yourself and maybe network in the meantime. Blessings to you!!!

Honored Contributor

I was just in your shoes. I work in an office. We were told in Dec there would be layoffs in Jan. Bottom line, I wasn't laid off. It was a very stressful time.

I was a nervous wreck. I have a mortgage and bought a new car in Oct. You can't let yourself get worked up. There is nothing to worry about until there is something to worry about. I kept telling myself that and eventually I believed it.

You have time now to get your ducks in a row. You can start taking a good look at your finances. It's probably a good exercise to do anyway. Reduce spending, cut back cable, negotiate a new cell phone bill, shop around for cheaper home/car insurance, etc. Make your finances a mission.

If you don't have a resume, you have time to put one together. That will also keep your mind busy.

Best of luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Wonderwoman, this is a tough spot to be in. Take care of yourself. Plenty of water, sleep, good nutrition and movement. Hang with positive people. You've been given great advice on the responses. Do your research on current resumes, cover letters, email thank you communications and behavioral interviewing. Be a good Girl Scout. Even if there are no changes in your employment, it will be a good reminder how valuable you truly are. Sending good thoughts your way!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor
Instead of waiting in anxiety, is it possible for you to start looking around for other positions? You don't have to apply, but just scout around and see what is or could come available. I have a friend who knew layoffs were coming at her company, and instead of waiting to see what would happen, she went out and got a new job first. This might also be a good time to see if you need to upgrade your skills by taking a class.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I would start brainstorming - perhaps you could find a PT job right now that will give you added income? It will be allright....

Super Contributor

Thank you for all your words of wisdom and faith. Many of you have some great ideas and I treasure each and everyone of you. When my life turned upside down with a divorce I thought the pain and devastation would never leave. It finally did but took several years. My job has kept me going and good for my well being. I pray that all the employes in my department are spared from the layoff.... Will keep you posted.... Hugs!!!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, do keep us posted, (((wonderwoman01))). I have paused to pray, just as you have, that none there will have to lose their jobs.