Trusted Contributor

@kinda silly 

About 40ish years ago I too had a panic attacks. I’d never had any before and they were brutal. It turns out that a new doctor looked into ‘low blood sugar’ and yes, that caused these awful sensations.

I just made a simple change to my diet and they went completely away.

Have you had your blood sugar checked?

Sometimes doctors can’t see the forest for the trees. They can miss things.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly wrote:

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
  I have anxiety and panic attacks and have for 30 + years.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.
What has helped you with panic attacks?

@kinda silly 

When, Where, and by whom were you medically Diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Attacks 30 years ago?

I was diagnosed, in a hospital Mental Ward, by my Psychiatrist and Neurologist, in the mid 1990's. My diagnosis were: Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder. I spent 7+ days in that Mental Institution getting professional help, and have been taking Prescription Medications along with monthly followup visits since.

To answer "what has helped me"? Reading my above is the best I can offer you. And this: Like an addiction, I do not think I am cured. To me I will always consider myself to be recovering

I have had 2 heart attacks, and my most recent Echocardiogram shows my heart is presently in Congestive Heart Failure. This is where I am currently and I accept it for what is, and as in the past, do whatever is necessary to once again be able to live my active lifestyle.

Seek professional help. Nothing I have typed here is your answer. I am not giving you Medical or Psychological Advice, I am telling you my experiences with those very dark years of my life.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kinda silly 

This might seem a little off the wall, but do you have any food allergies?   

My mother's neighbor had some sort of panic attacks for years, but they were reduced considerably (not eliminated) with avoiding a couple foods she was "very sensitive" to.   Don't know what they were ...sorry.  

Esteemed Contributor

Speak to qualified professionals.  Particularly a psychiatrist first.  Then follow up with talk therapy of your choice.  CBT is one, but there are many other types of psychotherapy that can help as well.

In my state, medication can only be dispensed by a Nurse Practitioner or a psychiatrist.  Clincial Psychologosists and Psychotherapists can not write prescriptions.

Good luck to you.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Anxiety help

[ Edited ]

@kinda silly   I empathize  with you. I don't get panic attacks but my husband has had them for many years. He is a disabled Viet Nam vet. He has been on a medication for many years (actually...ever since the war), so... yes he was addicted and the doctor cut him back on his dose of that medication and added another one to it. That medication he was on was no longer working and quite addictive.While he is doing better since that adjustment, he still has the panic attacks and it's been quite the challenge.

Because I have witnessed this for years, I, too would like him to have the sleep apnea test. That's the one thing he hasn't tried and  I think he may have  sleep apnea. While I'm not an expert, I see he has many of the symptoms.

Please don't give up having the test. If that's not it, at least you have ruled it out. So much good advice has been given and I agree with it all. My thoughts and prayers are with you.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Anxiety help

[ Edited ]

I have never had a big issue but my grand daughter has had issues since the pandemic. She is on medication and sees a psychiatrist and counselor to help.  It has helped her and she knows she can come to grandmas and poppies house any time and lives next door.  We talk or just hang out.

We make sure she gets rest, exercises and eats better.  She is getting more involved in things slowly from all the things she was cut off from.  Has not been easy for her but just keeps at it.

I am a big believer in exercise to help relief my stress and anxiety.    I walk the dog every day after work for one.   I also do not watch the news any more.  Sick of it. Upset anybody any more.   I do things I enjoy more and more and was cut off from so much.    I force myself to do things when down and out.  Make sure you get your rest too. 

I also write down things.  I get it off my chest and for my eyes only.  Learned that in high school.  That helps me big time.  Get yourself some color books and color away.  Relaxing and keeps you busy.  Play  some music and dance if you want.  Form of exercise too.   

I know your issues are more intense than mine but things I have learned to help me.  If you need to talk to someone then you should.  I also have routine in my life.  I personally need routine.  

Good luck and just keep trying and seek help.  You can do it.  Find what works for you.

Honored Contributor

Those are symptoms of an anxiety attack.

Find a therapist who is trained in EMDR therapy. It's excellent at getting to the root of many things including anxiety. It made a huge difference after Mom died and then when I had a period of extreme anxiety. 

Talk to your therapist about medication. Man offices have a psychiatrist who can prescribe. Or he/she could refer you to one. Or he/she could send a letter to your doctor asking that he/she to prescribe them. I know, people don't like to take pills. But it can help with the extreme feelings of anxiety and is worth it, imo.

My son is an MSW therapist and has also been trained in EMDR. He has seen a lot of good come from it.

Trusted Contributor

@kinda silly    Although I don't suffer from panic attacks, I have anxiety. I've been taking Ashwagandha supplements I bought from Costco (sold in many other stores, too). They are 1000 mg. each capsule and I take 2 daily. They have really helped lower my anxiety from work and day to day stresses.

Walking has also helped and I've been an avid walker for nearly 30 years. 
Good luck and I hope you find what works for you. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Those are symptoms of an anxiety attack.

Find a therapist who is trained in EMDR therapy. It's excellent at getting to the root of many things including anxiety. It made a huge difference after Mom died and then when I had a period of extreme anxiety. 

Talk to your therapist about medication. Man offices have a psychiatrist who can prescribe. Or he/she could refer you to one. Or he/she could send a letter to your doctor asking that he/she to prescribe them. I know, people don't like to take pills. But it can help with the extreme feelings of anxiety and is worth it, imo.

My son is an MSW therapist and has also been trained in EMDR. He has seen a lot of good come from it.

They are syptoms of an Anxiety Disorder.  An "attack" would likely be panic.  Panic Disorder is a type of anxiety disorder.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

@kinda silly wrote:

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
  I have anxiety and panic attacks and have for 30 + years.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.
What has helped you with panic attacks?

I started after my first child. I ended seeing a psychiatrist and was told I was chemical change. no more panic attacks but still get anxious . medication helped my panic attacks. hope this will help you.