Contributor

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
  I have anxiety and panic attacks and have for 30 + years.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.
What has helped you with panic attacks?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I came across an article in Woman's World where a woman who had panic atttacks for thirty years devised a  formula to help herself.  You can read the article and see if her

product can help you.  I haven't tried it.   It's worth a look.  Panic Aide dot com 

Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly, I not an expert in any form of counseling, but one thing you stated stands out to me.  That was “The state of the world frightens me.” 

I have no idea, but perhaps you may be watching too much news.  It’s fine to keep up with what is going on, but after a while a person can get quite anxious - the news is on tv 24 hours a day, etc.  Just a thought.

Wishing you success in your journey to cut down on your anxiety.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anxiety help

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry you've been struggling.

Some options off the top of my head:

stay away from all news, crime drama shows, etc

look at the blue sky (decreases heartrate)

play calming/uplifting music

read postitive affirmations

stop saying you 'have anxiety' (it only reinforces what you don't want)

declutter your house

eft (emotional freedom technique)

rescue remedy (spray and/or lozenges)

if you're religious - prayer, scriptures

I'll chime back in if anything else comes to mind. (hugs)

Trusted Contributor

@kinda silly 

Are you under the care of a psychiatrist, or psychiatric nurse practitioner for the anxiety? They are the medical professionals who know the most about these medications.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor
@kinda silly Just know that you aren't alone. I have struggled with anxiety disorder and panic attacks since I was 19 years old. What is frightening is that they can come on anytime and anywhere for no obvious reason. Sometimes breathing into a paper bag helps. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes breathing exercises help and sometimes they don't. Truly the only thing that works every time and relatively quickly is Xanax. I rarely use it. But just knowing I have it available seems to keep me from going off the edge. I know that none of that will be helpful to you. I will be interested in the replies that you receive and hope you find something that will help you!
Super Contributor

If you don't mind me saying, I have said a prayer to the Lord for you. I sincerely hope you get better. Best wishes. 

Honored Contributor

@kinda silly   I do not suffer from any type of anxiety, but if there is nothing physical causing the racing heart, etc.  I would suggest talk therapy.

I read years ago that no anxiety/depression medication should be taken with out some form of talking with a professional...It sure cannot hurt.  

I have a friend that has been on xanax for over 20 years....her doctor is leaving the practice and she was told if she wants to continue on the medication she must see a psychiatrist.

Good luck to you

Esteemed Contributor

I am curious @kinda silly  who ordered your medication. Was it your primary care physician, or a psychiatrist?   

Contributor

Thank you so much for your prayers.