Respected Contributor

@spent2muchThat's been around for a while by phone and by e-mail.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

caller ID is a great thing on both landlines and cell phones.

i do not pick up for numbers i do not recognize. sometimes i dont even pick up for numbers i recognize. LOL

@sunshine45 

I would use caller ID with caution even they can't be trusted...

scammers spoof phone numbers and even use numbers such as well known retailers, hospitals, doctor offices, even your own home number making you think it was a family member calling.....

I even got a call from myself according to caller ID and one from DH who was napping on the couch at the time. so NEVER totally trust who's on the other end of the line if they call you. They can make it say ANYTHING! Family, Dr's office, emergency room etc. Be aware and stay safe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another scam!

[ Edited ]

My Aunt got a call from'police' saying "your grandson is in jail you can bail him out by putting on your credit card this amount".

She knew it was fake he's got more money then she does and a wife so she said:

He's gonna have to spend the night in jail, then, I'm not coming down

ROFL

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

caller ID is a great thing on both landlines and cell phones.

i do not pick up for numbers i do not recognize. sometimes i dont even pick up for numbers i recognize. LOL

@sunshine45 

I would use caller ID with caution even they can't be trusted...

scammers spoof phone numbers and even use numbers such as well known retailers, hospitals, doctor offices, even your own home number making you think it was a family member calling.....

exactly why i usually let it go to voicemail or answering machines unless i am expecting someone coming to do some work on the house. this has been going on for years now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have an answering machine.  I see no reason whatever to answer a call that I do not recognize.  If they are a legitimate caller, they will likely leave a message, which I can intercept as they are speaking.  

Honored Contributor

I get these often too - annoying. Amazon does not make calls like this.

Esteemed Contributor

All calls I get that are not in my contact list go directly to recent calls and most are labeled spam, scam or fraud. I'm not even bothered by the ringing of the phone since these calls are silenced. 

Honored Contributor

@spent2much Nothing new. I'm too smart and savvy to ever fall for any of this garbage, be it by text or email. I''m smarter than they are!!

Respected Contributor

The other day I received an email from Zappos stating that they had charged my PayPal account $177.00 for a pair of Ugg Boots and I should verify the purchase.  I immediately went to my PayPal account and there were no charges.  

I called Zappos and the customer rep told me that it was a scam and I should just delete the email.   She said Zappos doesn't send out emails.  

I just thought how easily someone could be fooled by such an email.  They really did a good job of copying the Zappos logo and it looked so genuine.  After calming down and really looking over the email I could see small discrepancies that made it obvious that it wasn't real but at you had to look for them.  I've never purchased anything from Zappos.  

Respected Contributor

@riley1 

@riley1 wrote:

All calls I get that are not in my contact list go directly to recent calls and most are labeled spam, scam or fraud. I'm not even bothered by the ringing of the phone since these calls are silenced. 

Well, that's why my husband answers ALL calls - he can't stand the phone ringing 4 times before it goes to voice mail.  So I guess I'm not sure how to avoid that.  How are the rings silenced?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!