Respected Contributor

My husband answered the phone today.  It was a recording telling him that $345.00 had been charged at Amazon dot com.  They wanted to be sure it was OUR charge.  They gave a phone number to call to let them know.  Hubby hung up.  I think if we had called the number, they would have asked for our credit card number to "verify."  

I checked Amazon and our bank.  No such charge had been made.  Maybe next time we'll call the number to see just how deceitful they can be, WITHOUT ever giving them any information.  BEWARE!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

get those calls all the time........

Honored Contributor

Re: Another scam!

[ Edited ]

Here's another one I hadn't seen before----

WARNING!!! I Got a text wanting to comfirm DHL package delivery instructions.....  I had no deliveries coming except for a USPS delivery on Saturday ( per USPS Informed Delivery) ....  I did not click the links on the text, but checked DHL's website and called the number shown there....I gave them the info that I received on the text so they could investigate the scam.....

Capture.PNG

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

My husband answered the phone today.  It was a recording telling him that $345.00 had been charged at Amazon dot com.  They wanted to be sure it was OUR charge.  They gave a phone number to call to let them know.  Hubby hung up.  I think if we had called the number, they would have asked for our credit card number to "verify."  

I checked Amazon and our bank.  No such charge had been made.  Maybe next time we'll call the number to see just how deceitful they can be, WITHOUT ever giving them any information.  BEWARE!

The other day I had someone call and say a prayer on my voicemail. I guess it could be a lot worse than that. 

Trusted Contributor

Those are pretty common.  I also get emails like that from Amazon trying to convince me I purchased something I didn't, my account has been breached, etc... pretty frequently as well.  "Amazon" is scam central. And they don't care.   If I don't know the number I don't answer.  And if I wasn't expecting the email, I don't click.  I can go to any of the websites I have services with and check my accounts.  I can go and check my credit score at anytime and see if anything is amiss.  My husband is getting better but he sometimes is too trusting so I have to constantly remind him.  Matter of fact I very rarely go into my email at all.  99.7% is ads and spam. 

Honored Contributor

caller ID is a great thing on both landlines and cell phones.

i do not pick up for numbers i do not recognize. sometimes i dont even pick up for numbers i recognize. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Got an identical call today about a charge on my Amazon.  I slammed it down pretty good.  Another yesterday about my credit card.

Honored Contributor

I got one today  (that wasn't a scam, but, I hung up on them and then thought I better call myself to the company in question, and good thing I did because it was not a scam)

They were trying to ask me if I had made a call to a grocery last night and ordered online groceries. (I never do that) They said they wanted to renumber my credit card. Bam, went down the phone. I , then, called up the credit card company and usually get the automated voice, this, time the call went straight thru to a live operator. She asked me after I insulted her ( I was mad by this time) "are you a real person" LOL I was trying to put dinner on the table and all this 'stuff' always pesters you when your busy and husband is bellowing,etc.   

so, she told me the reason I didn't get an automated system, but, got put straight thru to an operator was because my account had specified I was to go straight to a live associate. She asked me if I had charged 631.00 of groceries to Walmart ! I said "why no I'm on SS and I've never spent 600 bucks on food, in one fell swoop, in my life". LOL  That would  last us month or more.  She said somebody had got denied, but, had tried to charge off on me 630.42 of food on my credit card.  Then, she started asking me confirmation questions that only I would know and I challenged her again and said "how do I know your real"?  She laughed and said "Ok, back in Nov did you spend **** on *** from ****"  ?    I said "yeah" she goes "Ok, then, that's how I'm "real".  so, then, I trusted her who else would know what I used my credit card on back in Nov and for what and how much?

I was so nervous and kept asking her if my balance was still 0.00

She said "yes, the person was denied, your balance is 0 and tear up that card you will get a new one in 7-10 days".

Even when they called to tell me something wasn't right I hung up on them, LOL and when I called customer service # I still asked her if she was real, I was suspicious because it went straight to a live person instead of punch this for that punch that for this reason your calling, etc.

Anyway, VERIFY yourself call the credit card company and see if a suspicious call is legit or not.   Seems like it might be a person who hasn't got their stimulus check and was trying to spend exactly or little over 600.00.   Sorry, I'm not paying your food bill.   LOL

animated-smileys-cheeky-035.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Another scam!

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

caller ID is a great thing on both landlines and cell phones.

i do not pick up for numbers i do not recognize. sometimes i dont even pick up for numbers i recognize. LOL

@sunshine45 

I would use caller ID with caution even they can't be trusted...

scammers spoof phone numbers and even use numbers such as well known retailers, hospitals, doctor offices, even your own home number making you think it was a family member calling.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a scam.  Google the number that called you or the number given in the call itself.  You'll see others have gotten the same or a similar call.  I've gotten it myself.