Respected Contributor

Re: Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

So very sad. My SIL's dad passed away a few years back from complications of working at the recovery and then clean up. His own company was there from the start all the way into March of 2002.  He actually was across the river in NJ on the waterfront that would later become the W Hotel at the excavation site. He saw the planes while talking on the phone to my SIL. Incredible how this one day changed our family.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

So very sad. My SIL's dad passed away a few years back from complications of working at the recovery and then clean up. His own company was there from the start all the way into March of 2002.  He actually was across the river in NJ on the waterfront that would later become the W Hotel at the excavation site. He saw the planes while talking on the phone to my SIL. Incredible how this one day changed our family.

@AngusandBuddhasMom- I'm so sorry for your family's loss. What a nightmare it must have been for him to see the planes. We only saw them on video, but to see them personally must have been horrifying.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala thank you for your kind words. I am sure it was sureal. His company was on call to the NY tri-state area for major clean ups. This of course was beyond what anyone was prepared for. They did demolition and removal so of course worked on the recovery which then sadly just truned to removal. He developed breathing problems and other health issues. Which at the time nobody was saying for sure it was due to being at the site but soon others in his employ also started having health problems.

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Sunala, please explain.  I did the arithmetic and 17 years ago was 2000.  He would have just been a new hire or ?????  

It is sad to loose a spouse if you loved them.  I have to question if the incident was what lead up to his passing.  So many Vietnam vets were exposed to many dangerous chemicals and a good many are still alive - my husband included. 

Then you should consider yourself and your husband lucky. That doesn't change the fact that many, many folks lost husbands, sons, fathers and brothers to Agent Orange. It is still happening to this day. A few months before my brother's passing his military doctor was diagnosed with the same death sentence that my brother was. Lung cancer that metastasized to his brain. Agent Orange.
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Sunala, please explain.  I did the arithmetic and 17 years ago was 2000.  He would have just been a new hire or ?????  

It is sad to loose a spouse if you loved them.  I have to question if the incident was what lead up to his passing.  So many Vietnam vets were exposed to many dangerous chemicals and a good many are still alive - my husband included. 

@Puzzle Piece yes the math says he was an NYPD Police Officer for 17 years which means he was hired in 2000. And yes, the incident certainly was directly responsible for his cancer.  Matter of fact, his doctor (who was also involved in 9/11) died of the same thing. 

Here is part of one of the many articles explaning all these illnesses and deaths from being exposed to the pile from the WTC:

"Cancers related to the 9/11 attacks and cleanups have surged in recent years. More than 70 types of cancer are being traced to exposures at Ground Zero and the air in New York after the disaster. Some researchers are saying that the health fallout from the disaster is coming to rival that of the nuclear fire at Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the former Soviet Union.

Hance worked on the “bucket brigade” of volunteers who hauled debris out of the ruins of the World Trade Center at Ground Zero in 2001 and 2001."

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala Okay.  I wonder if anyone has done any research on the ordinary civilians who helped with things also. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Then you should consider yourself and your husband lucky. That doesn't change the fact that many, many folks lost husbands, sons, fathers and brothers to Agent Orange. It is still happening to this day. A few months before my brother's passing his military doctor was diagnosed with the same death sentence that my brother was. Lung cancer that metastasized to his brain. Agent Orange.

Thank you, @cody2. Yes, some are lucky, but that doesn't call into question all the deaths from Agent Orange, including one of our dear friends.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

A good friend of ours for almost 40 years was exposed to agent orange and is still alive. He has had cancer and other problems and is being compensated and helped by the VA. He is in his late 60's but even though he is out and about, his brain has turned to mush as far as I am concerned.

Esteemed Contributor

And now there is another Sept 11-related death.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/28/us/9-11-firefighter-death/index.html

Rest in peace, Raymond J. Pfeifer, American hero.

Honored Contributor

Enough time, close to 2 decades, has past where those involved would be old enough to be dying of natural non-9/11-related deaths.

How do the statistical people determine a death was 9/11 related?