Valued Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

My sisters live in Jacksonville, and my younger sister just posted about it on Facebook. It is at Jacksonville Landing, during a video game tournament, so I fear it will be young people affected. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

Honored Contributor

For many years I've (often) been asking how the Wild Wild West had been turned around into a more civilized era (for a decent period of time).

Nobody, so far, has been able to answer my question.

I'm still asking....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

More guns than people in the US.

Twice as many, per capita, than there were in 1968.

Respected Contributor

Reports saying the Jacksonville gunman who opened fire

at Madden tournament 'was gamer who had lost'.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

4 dead, 11 injured in Jacksonville. Looks like thoughts and prayers are not working. Too much gun violence in this country.

Not shocking as our society has been purposely trashed culturally.  Think about the 2-2.5 million people who use a gun to stop a crime each year (per the CDC gun study), or the fact that Britain has over 4x our "violent crime" rate per 100,000 population.  The psychos and criminals will pay.

In all fairness, though, those "statistics" are old, misleading, incomplete and have been debunked many times, online and here in the forums again and again -- easy to find on the internet with a few searches.   For example, the first numbers come from a 1995 study (discussed in a recent article with sources cited:  npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense) and  the second one is problematic since the definition of crimes in the different countries is significantly different so the comparisons aren't meaningful (one example of a discussion of this with sources cited:  politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jun/24/blog-posting/social-media-post-says-uk-has-far-higher-violent-c/).   

BTW:  if anyone doesn't like these sources, I can understand and accept that, but there are many others -- I just wanted to give an example of the problem we have in using one-liner statistics for such a complex and serious issue.    If we are to have this discussion, it's so much better to do so with complete information...   although we really don't have it since it's difficult to collect this kind of data -- perhaps that would be a good place to start working on a solution.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@blackhole99It is not the man with a gun secured on his belt that you need to fear.  

....because wearing an AR-15 on the hip would be too uncomfortable.

(sarcasm)

Most mass shooters ARE legal gun owners. 

Honored Contributor

p.s.  'On the other hand', many, many years ago when I visited London, there were police who were called 'Bobbies'.  They only carried wooden batons (or whatever they were called).  No guns. 

I'd like to know what happened when and how 'things changed'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

It is unfortunate that in our country, as well as some others, that conflict, whether real or imagined, is settled with a gun instead of talking it out.  I do not see that changing unless we get over everything being too politically correct and trying to make all people think exactly the same way.   We are and should be a country of differences, and that is what needs to be accepted by everyone.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@blackhole99It is not the man with a gun secured on his belt that you need to fear.  

....because wearing an AR-15 on the hip would be too uncomfortable.

(sarcasm)

Most mass shooters ARE legal gun owners. 

Well,  that's inconvenient.