Honored Contributor

Re: Another Facebook Question

@YorkieonmyPillow

@dooBdoo

Thank you very much. That was my question, but I couldn’t find a direct answer anywhere. Now that I stop to think about it, I suppose a closed group works in much the same way as a public page. If someone posts on a public page, I can see their posts on that page but if I go to their page, I only can see the information they have chosen to make public. So, in a closed group, if I am not friends with other members, they should only be able to see my posts within that group or any other public information of my choosing if they go to my profile.

@dooBdoo, I always appreciate your responses and especially the fact that you include screenshots. It helps me immensely to be able to actually see exactly what you are explaining! And I have my privacy settings just as I want them.

As for the “View As” option, I have used that in the past on my computer. But apparently on the iPad app (which I use pretty much exclusively now) that isn’t available, as others seem to be searching for it as well. I guess if I want to use that, I will have to get on Facebook via a browser.

Again, thank you both. This group is for my new internet provider. For some reason they have chosen to use a closed group page to communicate with their customers instead of a normal public page. Given that so many people choose to let the entire world see each and every detail of their personal lives, I don’t want any of these people—none of whom I know—to be able to do the same with mine!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

geezerette wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow

@dooBdoo

Thank you very much. That was my question, but I couldn’t find a direct answer anywhere. Now that I stop to think about it, I suppose a closed group works in much the same way as a public page. If someone posts on a public page, I can see their posts on that page but if I go to their page, I only can see the information they have chosen to make public. So, in a closed group, if I am not friends with other members, they should only be able to see my posts within that group or any other public information of my choosing if they go to my profile.

@dooBdoo, I always appreciate your responses and especially the fact that you include screenshots. It helps me immensely to be able to actually see exactly what you are explaining! And I have my privacy settings just as I want them.

As for the “View As” option, I have used that in the past on my computer. But apparently on the iPad app (which I use pretty much exclusively now) that isn’t available, as others seem to be searching for it as well. I guess if I want to use that, I will have to get on Facebook via a browser.

Again, thank you both. This group is for my new internet provider. For some reason they have chosen to use a closed group page to communicate with their customers instead of a normal public page. Given that so many people choose to let the entire world see each and every detail of their personal lives, I don’t want any of these people—none of whom I know—to be able to do the same with mine!

Hi, @geezerette!   You're welcome!   I hope Facebook never allows others, including group admins, to override our personal privacy account settings.  And thank you for the kind words.😀   I try to help if I can.   I like to add images, when possible, and I think it goes back to my training in programming.   "Drawing a picture" is often the best way to analyze a problem or illustrate a process.   Regarding the Facebook app (or apps), there are many features that aren't available and we do have to use the full website version to see and use all of them.   My preference is not to use their apps, for security and privacy reasons -- when using my iPad I always access the full version on Safari.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Actually, in the area I'm interested it, individual brands almost always have a private "group" page. Most also have a regular "business" page. The "group" pages are pretty much the only one's I concern myself with.

While I've never thought about it, it makes sense to me for an internet provider to have a "group" page. It likely wouldn't draw the level of social interaction that happens on a "group" page for a small business. But the service provider would likely be able to gather feedback from comments that they would otherwise not receive. They can also potentially offer sneak peaks and/or special small perks. Marketing....now that I think about it....not a bad idea.....