Honored Contributor

I’ve looked for this on Facebook and Googled it too, but I’ve found conflicting answers:

If I join a “closed” group, what information of mine can the other members of that group see, presuming they are NOT my “Friends”?  Only the information I choose to make public and my posts within that closed group, or can they also see all of my information that I allow my “Friends” to see?

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Facebook Question

@geezerette

I will refer this question to @lolakimono

She is very handy at the technical aspects of things.

Yours is a great question.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Thank you!

Super Contributor

@geezerette

If you happen to see posts from such groups in your Home News Feed, these will only appear in the News Feed of group members. The only way for one of your friends to see your post/comment in a Closed or Secret group is for that friend to also be a member of the group.

Honored Contributor

It depends upon the way the admin of the group has done the group settings, and how each individual member has their settings too.

I’m in one closed, private group, but I’m friends individually with 3/4 of the group, so I see all of their posts and info and they see mine. 

I’m in another closed, private group and when I click on another member’s name I can see all of their personal posts. I don’t know if that’s the way the group admin has set it up, or because the poster has set their page to Public.

The admins of different groups may differentiate between just Closed, and Closed and Private. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It depends upon the way the admin of the group has done the group settings, and how each individual member has their settings too.

I’m in one closed, private group, but I’m friends individually with 3/4 of the group, so I see all of their posts and info and they see mine. 

I’m in another closed, private group and when I click on another member’s name I can see all of their personal posts. I don’t know if that’s the way the group admin has set it up, or because the poster has set their page to Public.

The admins of different groups may differentiate between just Closed, and Closed and Private. 

@Moonchilde

That’s what I was afraid of.  And knowing this administrator, he probably doesn’t even know the difference!

Esteemed Contributor

If you have your personal FB settings so that only your friends can see your posts, it doesn't matter how the group admin sets up his group - the others won't be able to see anything except your "public" info, because of your own personal settings......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette,  @YorkieonmyPillow is correct.🙂   I'm not aware of any way the admin of a group could control the way others see our personal account info and postings.    We control that with our "Settings" under the "Privacy" section.   This also would mean the admin of a group can only see what we permit via our settings.    This is an example from an account used for training:

image.jpeg

Also, we have the option of customizing the "audience" of each individual post or image by editing the privacy of that specific post/image.   

To be sure you know how your account looks to others, just go to your Timeline page and use the "View As" feature.   

You can see how it looks to everyone ("Public") or specific people, and again that would include showing you what the admin of a group can see:

image.jpeg 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's the link to the help info from Facebook about the privacy controls a group admin has, and I'll also post a screenshot from the section:  "Create and Manage a Group" "What are the privacy settings for groups?"   

https://www.facebook.com/help/220336891328465?helpref=about_content

image.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Anything posted in a closed gorup remains in the group, it will not show on your page or any of your friends page

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.