Respected Contributor

Re: Ancestry dot com

[ Edited ]

@Noel7wrote:

@goldensrbestwrote:

I am surprised that some on here are so against the LDS church ,they were very nice to us when we went out to salt lake city,to try and find information on my dads family.

They don't know what they are talking about @goldensrbest

The LDS church has a  history of posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims without their families permiission. The policy was changed but still occurs. A quick Google search will provide all the information you could want about this topic. 

This was done with no ill intent but is againt the religious beliefs of the victims of this practice

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I love Ancestry.com, and have have found out so many intersting facts about my heritage.  I like to do it during the winter when I am stuck inside more because it's addicting when you start finding out information and before you know it hours have passed while on the site, it's so fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Update:  Today, I received my "kit" from Ancestry.  I have to return the sample and then I guess I wait for the next phase.

More later.......

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I learned a lot from a lot of you.   I hope this thread remains "active" and doesn't go off topic......

Esteemed Contributor

@quietly7  Thanks so much for all the interesting info.  I learned a lot from your post and appreciate your taking the time to write it.   We'll see where this all ends.    The only negative I foresee, is that I might find kids I never knew I had.......  

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbestwrote:

@sophiamarie. Why did your mom not give you the information of who was your birth mom,and the story?

I don't know the answer to that.  The only thing I can say is when I called one of my uncles (who I thought would give me some info) all he said was "they did it to protect you and I wouldn't go any further with this"........So I let it drop for years until I saw some guy on a Sally Jesse Raphael show who did searches for people like me and I conacted him.  Needless to say, he got nowhere.  I guess it was because I really had no information for him.  No names, no nothing.  I don't even remember if he charged me anything.  

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarieI sure wish you luck ,you have the right to know.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sophiamariewrote:

@goldensrbestwrote:

@sophiamarie. Why did your mom not give you the information of who was your birth mom,and the story?

I don't know the answer to that.  The only thing I can say is when I called one of my uncles (who I thought would give me some info) all he said was "they did it to protect you and I wouldn't go any further with this"........So I let it drop for years until I saw some guy on a Sally Jesse Raphael show who did searches for people like me and I conacted him.  Needless to say, he got nowhere.  I guess it was because I really had no information for him.  No names, no nothing.  I don't even remember if he charged me anything.  

Hi @sophiamarie

With 23&Me, when you take a DNA test, they use your DNA to find other people with similar DNA and usually will be able to tell you what relation they are to you: first second, third or fourth cousin, sibling, mother, father, etc.

If it's a person who wants to be known, they will provide you with the type of relation and their name.  You will also be able to contact your relatives through the DNA company email service.  They do not give out private information such as telephone or location.

I wish you the best of luck in your search Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@reiki604wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@goldensrbestwrote:

I am surprised that some on here are so against the LDS church ,they were very nice to us when we went out to salt lake city,to try and find information on my dads family.

They don't know what they are talking about @goldensrbest

The LDS church has a  history of posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims without their families permiission. The policy was changed but still occurs. A quick Google search will provide all the information you could want about this topic. 

This was done with no ill intent but is againt the religious beliefs of the victims of this practice

Hi @reiki604

There was a discussion of that which was taken down.  LDS believes it is their job to baptize everyone in families in order to be together at a later time.  It was very upsetting to most Jewish people when that was discovered, which I totally understand and agree with.  However, other odd claims made at the time were not true.

My husband's brother married into a prominent Mormon family and we have a large number of inlaws, so I am familiar with their practice.  The fact that I am Protestant doesn't bother them, but I am sure they baptized us also.  That doesn't bother me, but I totally understand why it bothers others.

When my BIL married, he gave me a stack of books on the subject, which I read.    My comment quoted was about specific others here who made bizarre claims I knew were untrue.

Regular Contributor

Check my earlier post. Our niece was searching for biological parents. Her DNA was similar to my husbands. She turned out to be an unknown niece who now has a very large family that welcomed her.

Esteemed Contributor

Okay, I returned my "specimen" yesterday.  I hope I gave them enough to work with.  Time is running out.

But, not to worry.  My boys all said they will carry on with the search just in case I am not around to finish it.   Wouldn't it be great if they find siblings they never knew they had????

To be continued........