Honored Contributor

I looked at it, but there was no information about my family.

Lucky for me thought that my mother and father’s familieshave kept great records going back a few hundred years.

My father was one of 11 children and the family is close.  I grew up with all of my cousins and my father’s cousins as well on both his mother and father’s side.  My father used to go back to Italy, even though he was born here to keep in touch with family.  Some of my cousins still do that today. We have even met family in Australia.

My mother was one of eight girls.  I know about all of my cousins, aunts and grand and great grandparents from her mother and father’s side.

I am very lucky to have been born in a family that is close and connected.

Esteemed Contributor

@SophieMarie:  If your birth records are fake, how do you even have a Social Security card and do you have a passport (that must be a mess)?

Esteemed Contributor

@patbzwrote:

@SophieMarie:  If your birth records are fake, how do you even have a Social Security card and do you have a passport (that must be a mess)?

That's a very interesting question and I really have no answer.  When I was adopted, I had the name of my adoptive parents, as though I was "their" child.  I guess that's how I got my SS card.  I do have a passport but that came from info from my SS card, I guess.  

I do have a "Certificate of Birth".  I needed a birth certificate to get married, but since I was "told" that it was lost, I had an uncle who was a Judge, and he got me the Certificate.  It just gives my name, date of birth and has the raised seal of the notary.

Maybe in those days, things were easier??? I don't know if I could have gotten things so easily if it were today.  Who knows?

Esteemed Contributor

@SophieMarie:  II don't know how old you are but my 42 year old step son had an odessey just trying to get a replacement birth certificate (born an American citizen in a military hospital in Korea).  His birth mother stole him at age 7 and changed his name, birth date and SSN.  Took us over 1 year and a Congressional to get his correct SSN reissued (and work history from take name, number etc) transferred.

Regular Contributor

About 8 years ago I used the free chart on Ancestry to organize information I had, some on small scraps of psper. I made the tree  public on Ancestry. Last year my DH, son and I sent in DNA samples. No I am not mainly German like I thought. My greatest amount was Irish and English. Last summer I happened to check out Ancestry after about a year. At that moment up pops an email from a woman who thought she was a first cousin to my DH. The dates didn't line up. We emailed back and forth a lot then I checked Ancestry and the relationship could be a niece. Not my hubby so he contacted his brothers and one said if she was born in a certain month and year she was his. This was before he was married and he had told his wife that there could be a child out there. I was so excited to have played a small part in this happy story. She was adopted by wonderful people who were deceased and she was trying to find her birth parents. She has no family other than her husband and daughters. She now gas a large family. This happened around July 4th last year. We finally got a chance to meet in February. It truly is a feel good moment. When she emailed me her husband said not to expect anything !

Esteemed Contributor

@patbzwrote:

@SophieMarie:  II don't know how old you are but my 42 year old step son had an odessey just trying to get a replacement birth certificate (born an American citizen in a military hospital in Korea).  His birth mother stole him at age 7 and changed his name, birth date and SSN.  Took us over 1 year and a Congressional to get his correct SSN reissued (and work history from take name, number etc) transferred.

I am way older than your step son and I can only guess that his situation was far different than mine. He was already 7 and I was a newborn.  As far as anyone knew, I was their legitimate child.  I was told that my father was having a house built and it took a year.  So, we moved into this big house when I was a year old.    Keep in mind that everyone involved in my life, was well-connected.  An uncle who was the lawyer, the doctor who was my father's childhood friend and another uncle who was the Judge who got my Certificate of Birth within days of my wedding.  I didn't even know I needed it until days before the wedding.  I don't think it was that difficult in those days where there were no computers and everything was done with the stroke of a pen.

I don't know what else to think.  I was a child and didn't know anything about this, so I never asked questions.  My mother was very quick with the answers anyway.  Once, I asked her how much it cost when I was born.  She said "$100".  One day, we were driving downtown over the Hudson River and I asked her what hospital I was born in and she said "Hudson View Hospital".... There was never a hospital with that name.  LOL  

I was just inquisitive but maybe she thought I was on to something?  I don't know.  As I said, I was in my 30's when I found out the truth and by then, it really didn't matter.  I had a bunch of kids, a husband, a big house and a great life.  So, I didn't give it much thought until later in life.

I was just reading up on the Ancestry stuff and there are so many different packages, I don't even know if I got the right one.  Oh well, when it arrives, I'll do what it says and if it's not good enough, I'll go further. 

More to come.......

Valued Contributor

@sophiamariewrote:

Has anyone ever tried locating their biological relatives through Ancestry?   I would be interested to know if anyone had luck with this.  TIA

We just ordered the kit for generic testing with Ancestry and when I looked up reviews some gave it excellent and some were not good.  It all depends on who is doing the review.  Has anyone used twenty-three and me?

Valued Contributor

@Luvtunawrote:

@sophiamariewrote:

Has anyone ever tried locating their biological relatives through Ancestry?   I would be interested to know if anyone had luck with this.  TIA

We just ordered the kit for generic testing with Ancestry and when I looked up reviews some gave it excellent and some were not good.  It all depends on who is doing the review.  Has anyone used twenty-three and me?

Sorry I meant genetic testing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry dot com

[ Edited ]

@Luvtunawrote:

@sophiamariewrote:

@Luvtuna, our genetic kits arrived in Sandy UT and are waiting lab processing. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I heard from my cousin (the one who adopted the infant from a foreign country) and she said her daughter found her bio mother and half sister from an ancestry kit that her husband got for her.  I asker her which one and she came back and said "she got the deluxe one"...... Getting information from her is worse than pulling teeth.  She is the one whose mother  told me I was adopted.

I then went and looked up everything I could find on Ancestry and there are so many different ones, I don't know what is what.  There wasn't any "deluxe" that I could find, so I'll keep plugging along.

There are so many people who do not want to find any missing relatives.  They just want to know their heritage.  I am looking for just the opposite.  I'm not interested in my heritage because if I find any missing relatives, I think they will tell me.

To be continued........