Honored Contributor

Re: An update on Coach Pat Summitt..

@MickD wrote:

@Suziepeach - is she the basketball coach with Alzheimer's?????  My mind is blank.

@MickD  Groan at this choice of wording!  Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

This from Chi Omega's national president, Shelly Potter

"Today, Chi Omega mourns the loss of extraordinary Sister Pat Head Summitt. Her unrelenting drive for excellence transformed the narrative and paved the way for the success of women's sports. She will long be remembered as a woman of purpose - an inspiration for her own story as well as how she empowered others to be their best selves. A Chi Omega Malinda Jolley Mortin Woman of Achievement, her Sisters at University of Tennessee-Martin also fitting named their lodge in honor of Pat. Chi Omega Sisters join the chorus of all who admire Pat, celebrating her extraordinary life and contributions," said National President Shelley Potter.

Our Fraternity is proud to have called Pat "Sister" and offer our condolences to her family and friends, especially her dear Xi Zeta Sisters.

Respected Contributor

My daughter benefited by being coached freshman year of College by one of Pat's Grads. I am so glad that her first year of NCAA was "seen over" by Pat's love and respect of the female athlete. She will be greatly missed but never forgotten. Btw, my daughter played Field Hockey. Pat's respect and love for the female athlete went beyond Basketball. May G-d Bless her.

Respected Contributor

Coach Summit was truly an inspiration for many and certainly changed the sport of women's basketball.   I am so sorry to hear about her dying and hate the fact that this was her fate.  Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

Pat Summitt Plaza on campus..  I'll toot my horn and say my hubby and I had a little do with that and our names are on plaque, with others of course, down to the right..  

Prayers for her family, friends and loved ones.  Smoky, I am so sorry for the loss of this amazing woman that has not only impacted Tennessee, but the world.  An amazing example of an extraordinary human being.

That is wonderful that you and your DH have your names on the plaque at the Summit.  I know your heart is broken  ((HUGS)).