Honored Contributor

Re: Americans' Generosity

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

I get a little concerned when people hear how much money the government is budgeting to aid Texas.  I hope people won't hear this and quit giving.  It will take that and more.

While this is all so tragic, to see people giving whatever they can and whatever they have to give, is uplifting to us all and should tell us something.

@jubilant  I think the only people who will not give at all are those who feel that their taxes will be enough, and the people who have a disdain for the state overall and forget that the citizens of TX are the true victims.  Some people simply do not care.

The budget is not going to matter to those who were not planning on giving in the first place.

I think the initial drive for donations brought out the folks with good hearts; and for some it may be all that they can do.  I do believe that multiple donations are still being given and will continue; maybe on a smaller scale but we have only seen a small portion of what this recovery will entail.

As long as smaller donation sites, such as food banks, are still putting out the call donors will still give again.

Some people don't have much to give right from the start, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Americans' Generosity

[ Edited ]

I donated cash to the American Red Cross.   While I understand some people want to donate items instead of cash - it takes people to sort and distribute these items.  It is a huge job on top of a disaster.  

I also donated to Seattle Humane to help them pay for the air lift of the existing cats and dogs in the Houston shelters so there would be room for the victims of the hurricane.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

You make some really good points.  Some I hadn't really thought about.  My 18 yr. old grandson and a friend of his may be going to Houston as volunteers.  He has already been to the coal miner towns helping build and fixing homes and other structures and found it most rewarding.  

I didn't think about people having disdain for a state.  That boggles my mind.....but I think I know what you meant.....pretty sad that would even figure into something like this.  I look for some to leave Texas.  I heard one retired man being interviewed on TV and he was saying this was the 2nd time for them in 9 yrs. and no more.  You really can't blame him.  It sure would make me think twice about rebuilding along the coast.