Honored Contributor

This crossed my mind today watching people walking through their homes, what are they going to do with the items that can be saved?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Destroy paperwork that is ruined.  Trash scrapbooks, books, pictures, appliances, dishes, furniture, clothes, everything.  Pile it up in front of your house and wait for the big trucks to come by and pick it up.  Pull the carpet up ASAP and get it out to the curb, too.

Then you get large dumpsters placed on your property and start the demolition of what's left of your home. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

They'll probably have to take it where they are staying or a friend's or their car??

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

They'll probably have to take it where they are staying or a friend's or their car??

Storage unit rentals will more than likely soar.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest, I've thought about that one too as I saw lawns scattered with furniture on the news today.

Our country's recycling efforts have been monumental in taking strides to reduce and recycle....

Salvedge companies I'm sure will be enlisted....all that "floof" from sofas, mattresses can be treated, dried out etc.....metals from springs as well...

My heart goes out to those with older, historic homes....all that original woodwork is probably destroyed....wood floors original to homes-probably destroyed as well.

Hopefully, historic preservation will step in. Worth saving-as any home is-but those are part of our history....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

This crossed my mind today watching people walking through their homes, what are they going to do with the items that can be saved?

Sorry, should have put my glasses on.  LOL  I read "Can't Be Saved".

We took what we could to family and friends for safekeeping and cleaning.  Some we just left in the attic because that is all we had left.  Not safe, but no way to get it out safely since the rest of the house was destroyed.  Most everything was damaged so not much left to worry about.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

After our flood, every storage unit location for 30 miles was full, no PODS to be had.  Nothing.  We were blessed to have a friend with a 24" enclosed utility trailer that we borrowed.  Parked it right next to our home and stashed all the "save" items in it.  It was truly a Godsend.  Any big ticket valuables were taken off site.  Looting was a concern and our home was not securable because of the damage.

I'm watching the coverage on the Weather Channel and it's exactly like they're showing.  Most of our belongings were placed curb side and huge loaders and dump trucks came hauled it all away.  We had to saw our couch in half, it swelled so much it wouldn't fit out the door!

This event breaks my heart to watch, because I know what they're going though, but I also know the strength and resilence of people, and I know they will survive.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Flood homes

[ Edited ]

I have a dozen family members in Houston. The authorities have a process for dealing with flooded homes that they communicate to homeowners. Getting drywall out is one of the first things they need to do because it wicks the water up and starts growing mold almost immediately. My brother is in one area where they have had no mail service for a week now....a mobile cell tower is now there so they can use their phones. Gut-wrenching experience. For things that you to want keep, they use a large plastic bin. my nephew is storing their things at a friends house whose area didn't take on any water. Many of the storage unit places are under water. Makes me look around at all the stuff I have and realize how little material things are worth compared to your family.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about anybody else, but I would not want to buy a bed or a sofa that had padding/stuffing that has been in that nasty water, and I don't care how its been "treated".

Nope, they will not salvage that stuff to reuse.

It is going straight to the dump.

Super Contributor

@lovesrecessPrayers for your family.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~