Super Contributor

Everything of ours was taken to the local dump in big dump trucks.  No time for sorting a recycling.  I can only imagine the true environmental impact an event like this has.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

The stuff that can be salvaged would have to be taken out soon to avoid mold spores floating in the air. But where it could be stored is a problem. I just don't know where.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The stuff that can be salvaged would have to be taken out soon to avoid mold spores floating in the air. But where it could be stored is a problem. I just don't know where.

Yes, there will be things people will want to keep.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

If flood water touched most things, they have to be thrown out.  There is no saving mattresses, sofas, etc.  The flood water contains sewer and other horrible things, so it's not safe to keep things touched by that water, even if you try to sterilize them somehow.  Most people just set everything at the curb for trash pickup.  It's very sad to see.

Honored Contributor

If the flood waters touched it, if the stuff sits in all that filthy water....there is nothing to saved.  Eventually, the bulldozers will come in and scoop it all up.  

Honored Contributor

I was thinking of pictures,photos personal items ,yes the furniture and that kind of items will have to be destroyed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

If the flood waters touched it, if the stuff sits in all that filthy water....there is nothing to saved.  Eventually, the bulldozers will come in and scoop it all up.  

My niece lost everything but the clothes on her back and an overnight bag, her pets and her car in Sandy.  

There was nothing that could be salvaged even though my m-i-l tried to talk her into washing all her clothing.

This is far worse than Sandy.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

My niece lost everything but the clothes on her back and an overnight bag, her pets and her car in Sandy.  

There was nothing that could be salvaged even though my m-i-l tried to talk her into washing all her clothing.

This is far worse than Sandy.

Your niece is smart, anything that sat in that dirty water or was even just exposed to it has to be thrown out.  Everything.   It's just "stuff" and stuff can be replaced but people can die from infectious diseases.